Secretive DOD office reveals swarming Perdix UAVs

Flyaway

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
In one of the largest successful demonstrations of swarming micro-drones, over 100 Perdix UAVs screamed over the US Naval Air Systems Command’s testing grounds at China Lake, California last October.

Three F/A-18 Super Hornets launched 103 Perdix UAVs which demonstrated collective decision-making, self healing and adaptive formation flying, according to a 9 January public release from the US Defense Department. Perdix are not pre-programmed and rather share a distributed brain which allows them to adapt their formation, according to the DOD. The UAVs transmit information within the swarms and to command stations.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/secretive-dod-office-reveals-swarming-perdix-uavs-432993/

As most know here at SPF I love high technology/new weapons technology so why do I find this somewhat disconcerting?

A memory from my childhood perhaps? Yes I cheered for Wile E. Coyote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4xy2W6cefk

Very Hitchcock

Chris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hplpQt424Ls

Just the sound they generate at the 2:19 mark is enough to make you nervous. Right out of a bad sci-fi movie.

fredymac said:
Just the sound they generate at the 2:19 mark is enough to make you nervous. Right out of a bad sci-fi movie.

Ever see the movie, "Screamers" with Peter Weller, based on the Philip K. Dick short story, "The Second Variety"?

sferrin said:
fredymac said:

Ever see the movie, "Screamers" with Peter Weller, based on the Philip K. Dick short story, "The Second Variety"?

That's exactly what I thought of. This is one freaky demo.

The possibilities are limitless (and to a degree, terrifying).

Among dozens of ideas/possibilities that come to mind seeing that was - with the discussion on this forum of the future of CAS/CSAR-"Sandy" operations post A-10 in mind - is imagine using relatively inexpensive swarming UCAVs in the Sandy role to protect/defend isolated downed pilots, special operations units, etc.? Assuming there is a robust IFF ability, you could deploy a relentless swarm (or successive swarms) of these critters that can disable/destroy vehicles and combatants in Kamikaze-fashion to provide a defensive halo over small combat units, pilots, etc. in danger of being overrun or captured by an enemy. Of course there would be obstacles and countermeasures to consider but, conceptually, the mind boggles at the variety of ways this technology can potentially be employed.

The one rather obvious downside is I'd think one jammer or microwave weapon and the whole mess would be junk.

Attachments

• 51832247.jpg
    51832247.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 319
  • Ranetz-E-MAZ-7910-S.jpg
    Ranetz-E-MAZ-7910-S.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 307
  • Russian-electronic-warfare.jpg
    Russian-electronic-warfare.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 303
Flyaway said:
In one of the largest successful demonstrations of swarming micro-drones, over 100 Perdix UAVs screamed over the US Naval Air Systems Command’s testing grounds at China Lake, California last October.

Three F/A-18 Super Hornets launched 103 Perdix UAVs which demonstrated collective decision-making, self healing and adaptive formation flying, according to a 9 January public release from the US Defense Department. Perdix are not pre-programmed and rather share a distributed brain which allows them to adapt their formation, according to the DOD. The UAVs transmit information within the swarms and to command stations.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/secretive-dod-office-reveals-swarming-perdix-uavs-432993/

"The UAVs launched in October were the sixth iteration of Perdix, flying in 10°C (50°F) temperatures at Mach 0.6."

This seems like it much be the launch speed, not the UAV's flight speed. No?

See the data sheet:

https://www.defense.gov/Portals/1/Documents/pubs/Perdix%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

They fly at 40-60 knots, for around 20 minutes (~150NM range; not too bad), and they're 12" in wingspan, 290g (10.3oz) in mass.

http://www.dmitryshulgin.com/2017/01/13/micro-drone-swarms/

"In one of the most significant tests of autonomous systems under development by the Department of Defense (DoD), the Strategic Capabilities Office (SCO), partnering with Naval Air Systems Command, successfully demonstrated one of the world’s largest micro-drone swarms at China Lake, California. The test, conducted in October 2016 and documented on Sunday’s CBS News program «60 Minutes», consisted of 103 Perdix drones launched from three F/A-18 Super Hornets. The micro-drones demonstrated advanced swarm behaviors such as collective decision-making, adaptive formation flying, and self-healing."

Wonder how long until they incorporate warheads and sensors. Without either I don't know what they could accomplish. Granted this is still very early. Like Have Blue early.

Attachments

• Perdix.jpg
    Perdix.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 188
Even as is with no sensors or warheads it'd make a hell of a distraction for your special ops guys ingress/egress. With that noise and one or two little bright LED lights on each and every nearby eyeball in Indian country is going to be glued on the swarm.

sferrin said:
Wonder how long until they incorporate warheads and sensors. Without either I don't know what they could accomplish. Granted this is still very early. Like Have Blue early.

They could have them loiter near airfields and when an enemy aircraft attempts to take-off, a portion or all of them could swarm in front of the aircraft and fly into the intakes and destroy the engines.

Sundog said:
sferrin said:

They could have them loiter near airfields and when an enemy aircraft attempts to take-off, a portion or all of them could swarm in front of the aircraft and fly into the intakes and destroy the engines.

Why not just bomb the airfields and aircraft on them directly?

Sundog said:
sferrin said:

At that size, they won't loiter very long, so that's a pretty hamstrung concept. It might be more of a realistic concept to add a sensor and warhead and employ the swarm like a guided cluster bomb release...you'll get the area coverage but each individual bomblet/drone can ID and home in on a specific point in the area.

Jeb said:
Sundog said:
sferrin said:

At that size, they won't loiter very long, so that's a pretty hamstrung concept. It might be more of a realistic concept to add a sensor and warhead and employ the swarm like a guided cluster bomb release...you'll get the area coverage but each individual bomblet/drone can ID and home in on a specific point in the area.

Clearly the devices being tested are technology demonstrators, no? This tech could be used with any "flying" devices as you're suggesting.

Not exactly related, but might be of interest: https://www.sbir.gov/sbirsearch/detail/1207935

OBJECTIVE: Develop a cluster payload which can be launched and deployed from a GMLRS or ATACMS platform. The payload shall consist of multiple deployable smart quad-copters capable of delivering small explosively formed penetrators (EFP) to designated targets.