A Christmas gift to all forum members - Evolution of the F-16 article

I would love to see a comprehensive book on the LWF competition. Might have to write it, if noone else is.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
I would love to see a comprehensive book on the LWF competition. Might have to write it, if noone else is.

I've always been curious about Lockheed's entry. All I've ever seen is a very basic line drawing.

Lockheed's entry was the CL-1200-2, renamed to CL-1600 to make the Selection Board think it was something new.

This isn't a final piece of work, more like a work in progress, so any errors or omissions let me know. As I don't have access to the Lockheed Martin archives, this mostly relies on existing accounts, I have however tried to get as many primary sources as possible.

Thanks very much, I'll go over that during the next week. Very kind of you Sir.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Lockheed's entry was the CL-1200-2, renamed to CL-1600 to make the Selection Board think it was something new.

Thanks to Jay Miller's Skunk Work I always have this thing stuck on the brain when thinking on the Lockheed LWF:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23464

Fascinating!

I'm sure I'm not the only generation X reader that finds the first variable geometry ADF design strangely appealing (probably due to watching topgun too often)

Many thanks Paul, it is always great to have a one-stop consolidated view of a subject. Have a really great 2017.

To any US forum members -

If this period is interesting to you, and you want to work on a LWF book.... let me know :)

Excellent work and many thanks for sharing it with everyone here.

Paul, amazing work and thank you.

Just a note on the swing wing design on the first page (not the cover). I always liked that design, but looking at it, I just noticed the nozzles are highly integrated, aerodynamically speaking. They have the functional look of an axisymmetric nozzle, but are almost "2D" nozzle in shape, which I never noticed before because all of the previous pics I had were so small.

Regarding the inlets, where the F-111 has quarter shock inlets, this fighter has half shock cone inlets, just like an F-104 or Mirage III, except they're mounted at what appears to be a forty five degree angle to the vertical. It makes me wonder if that was done purely for optimum integration with the airframe or if it was designed for somewhat better pressure recover at moderate alpha as well.

I'm not sure what kind of help you're looking for with regard to an LWF book, but if you need something from me let me know. I can't help thinking Bill S, Mark Nankivil, Allysonca, Circle-5, and Scott Lowther are probably going to be your go to guys in that regard.

Excellent work, many thanks!

If this period is interesting to you, and you want to work on a LWF book.... let me know

I'm interested

Excellent, thanks! I seem to recall having a paper on the LWF program, as I recall it centered mostly on the YF-16 and YF-17. I think it may have published by AIAA. I'll dig around for it.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
To any US forum members -

If this period is interesting to you, and you want to work on a LWF book.... let me know :)

Right here. :)

I too, would be very interested in a LWF projects book.

...and thank you for the gift to members as well!

Let me add my appreciation - thank you, Overscan!

And Happy New Year to all SPF members.

RAP said:
Excellent, thanks! I seem to recall having a paper on the LWF program, as I recall it centered mostly on the YF-16 and YF-17. I think it may have published by AIAA. I'll dig around for it.

I have that - see the bibligraphy -

Albert C. Piccirillo and David C. Aronstein, The Lightweight Fighter Program: A Successful Approach to Fighter Technology Transition, AIAA 1997

Don't know if this drawing has been posted before. Markings prior to the RWB scheme with orange tail stripe and AFSC patch.

Attachments

• GD F16 copy.jpg
    GD F16 copy.jpg
    897.2 KB · Views: 253
Great work Overscan and I'm happy to help on this project where ever I can.