FuG 218 Radar Display

Clipper996

Indeed
Reaction score
How did the FuG 218 (as used in Me 262 for example) display information?

I figured out the FuG 202 and FuG 220 display, but what confuses me about the FuG 218 is the presence of only one display.

Was there a switch that could change from azimuth to elevation or range, or was it something else?

Clipper,

in Fritz Trenkle's books you will find several photos regarding the functioning of the FuG 218 display tube. Let me see if I can post a picture.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have any idea where that book could be found (Die deutschen Funkmeßverfahren bis 1945)?It doesn't seem to be published anymore, and shipping a second hand from across the ocean isn't really an option for me.

Yes, that's the book. Highly recommendable. I think chances are better if you look for sources in Germany or Austria. Btw, shipping a book from Europe to the US and vice verse is a matter of days.

https://www.amazon.de/Die-deutschen-Funkmessverfahren-bis-1945/dp/3879436681

I had a look in Trenkle´s book.

For single seat fighters in the FuG 218 essentially the same single tube display was used as in the FuG 217 . There was a knob in the steering stick to switch from azimuth to elevation; the letters L/R (left/right) and H/T (hoch/tief = high/low) were illuminated at the display in the particular mode. There were prototype single tube displays where both informations were displayed simultaneously with a timeline from low left to high right on the display (target echoes were displayed in starform dependent on the distance to the target).

Hope this helps.

Basil said:
There was a knob in the steering stick to switch from azimuth to elevation; the letters L/R (left/right) and H/T (hoch/tief = high/low) ... (target echoes were displayed in starform dependent on the distance to the target).
I am unfamiliar with "starform"? I have an image of some sort of modified J-scope in my head, but most likely wrong.

Sorry, do not know either how the combined radar dispay showed the target; Trenkle does not mention any further detail and I have not found any other sources. Perhaps Newsdeskdan can dig up some information with his vast resources of original documents (which was proved again in his booklet "Secret Wings of the Third Reich").