Register here

Author Topic: Manfred Popp: Why Hitler didn't built the Atom Bomb  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Manfred Popp: Why Hitler didn't built the Atom Bomb
« on: December 05, 2016, 11:19:54 am »
Two topics about the theme of the “German A-Bomb”  were locked for good reasons, and I don’t want to start
another one. But those, who were left  unsatisfied with those discussions perhaps should read the results of the
research by Manfred Popp.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bewi.201601794/abstract

Unfortunately, the detailed version is in German, so, if someone find it in English, please give us a clue.

http://www.spektrum.de/news/hitlers-atombombe-warum-es-sie-nicht-gab/1423529

For short:
Until the end of the war, German nuclear scientists had no realistic idea about the way a nuclear bomb had to be built
and they weren't able to calculate the critical mass needed for a bomb, an indispensable detail. And research for a bomb
was much less intensive, than represented in several publications.

The theme of the German nuclear bomb was explored by several other scientists, but Manfred Popp had a big advantage:
He is nuclear scientist by himself, the others were historians, without deeper insight into the field of nuclear sciences.
So the probability for the alleged nuclear explosions in Thuringia at the end of WW II, or the fitting out of a special version
of the He 177 as an atom bomber has dropped considerably, I think !
Popps results may shatter several embosomed assumptions. For example, that the bomb was “around the corner” and
would just have needed more money and resources. Or that the German scientists acted as covered resistance fighters,
not wanting to give that weapon to the Nazi regime.
But it clearly shows, that for historical research a deeper insight into the field of interest is absolutely important.
What other assumptions may still be taken for granted, although they are based on similar misinterpretations ?
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline royabulgaf

• CLEARANCE: Secret
Re: Manfred Popp: Why Hitler didn't built the Atom Bomb
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:33:11 pm »
When I saw the title, my first reaction was "because they didn't know how and couldn't afford it"  Bingo.  Another thing to consider-Just look at the size and scope of the Manhattan project, both in Washington and Tennessee.  And this allowed them to crank out about one bomb per month.   I don't know of any book on the history of the Axis war industry, but it would be interesting.

Online PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 12:48:36 am »
The Popp article is downloadable in English from the Wiley site - paid access or via OpenAthens etc.

It's very interesting, and confirms that German scientists had no idea how to make a bomb, and hadn't even thought about it much except in the broadest terms. Previous analysis by historians was hindered by them not understanding the technology enough to judge the source documents correctly and conclusions were biased by the author's own opinions.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:53:32 am by PaulMM (Overscan) »
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline CNH

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:47:09 pm »
Well, you need several kgs of either Pu239 or U235.

And they hadn't even got grams of the stuff.

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 01:48:20 am »
A very fascinating Artikel by Manfred Popp

It show clearly what happen wen brilliant mind have to leave Germany,
because a Little Annoying Austrian wanted to murder them!
And what left are "Amateurs" in nuclear physics like Heisenbergs or von Weizsäcker

about Heisenbergs, i know stories were he ignored every advice and critic on his concept.
like Burkhard Heim proposal for a implosion working Nuke, A concept what was used in first US Atomic bomb test.
Heisenbergs dismiss the idea as "adolescent idiocy" and tell young Heim return to chemical experiments...

In Mean time in USA were jewish scientist already cooking Plutonium out Belgium uranium !
I love Strange Technology

Offline Foo Fighter

• I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 07:15:05 am »
I wonder how many projects over the last few years, were just for show, keeping staff out of the front line and safe.  It strikes me quite a lot were just paper shuffling rather than realistic projects for the time.  I would at least like to have that thought for the day.