German RVT 294 bomb torpedo

Grzesio

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
chemnitzer27kb.blogspot.com
I just acquired excellent Luftwaffe: Secret Bombers of the Third Reich by Dan Sharp ;) and one thing intrigued me (so far).
In the Ju 287 chapter there are pictures showing different loading variants of the bomber, among them a pair of RVT 294 bomb torpedoes.

Hmmm - I just wonder what is the RVT 294?
It is not of the BT series and it is not of the EB series, as it significantly differs with its layout from both of them - while it looks pretty much like the WLK type bomb torpedo.
The number 294 in the designation seems to suggest, it could be just a Hs 294 warhead used as a simple unpowered bomb torpedo...?
And what could the abbreviation RVT mean?
Any ideas, please?

I`ve came to the same conclusion, comparing with other projectiles. By "WLK" you mean the "Unterwasserlaufkoerper"? The fins simply don`t match in either way...

By "WLK" you mean the "Unterwasserlaufkoerper"?
Wasserlaufkoerper, actually. I've encountered the warhead of the Hs 294 named as Unterwasserlaufkoerper indeed in one book (while simultaneously abbreviated as WLK!). But I think this variant of the airdropped bomb torpedo was called Wasserlaufkoerper, while Unterwasserlaufkoerper was a rocket propelled underwater projectile (torpedo?) developed by the Kriegsmarine.

The fins simply don`t match in either way...
Well, the WLK was a direct predecessor of the Hs 294, while we suspect, this RVT 294 is actually a derivative or a spin-off of the Hs 294. The drawing is obviously a little bit schematic, but the projectile looks like a WLK warhead fitted with EB style tail section with a drum stabilizer - it looks pretty reasonable for me, as it allows significant fin span reduction, an important feature in case of a closed bomb bay.