Frégate de Taille Intermédiaire (FTI)

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Via CDR Salamander:

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/fti-medium-size-frigates/
http://www.defensenews.com/articles/france-unveils-new-fti-frigate-ship-is-designed-for-the-french-navy-and-for-export
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/178086/france-launches-new-fti-medium-frigate-program-with-dcns,-thales.html

Attachments

• dcns-belharra-2012.jpg
    dcns-belharra-2012.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 615
There's a lot to like about FTIe, the French really are on a roll of competent, handsome-looking ships right now. Looks like a worthy successor to the La Fayette class and a solid medium/light Frigate.

Just to add a bit more to the LCS comparison: FTI's a bit less than double the cost (sans LCS Mission Package), has 50-100% more crew (depending on LCS loadout) and displaces 1,500 more tons. A surprisingly good radar suite despite the light SAM load, compared to LCS's oft-criticized point-defense-only focus. There's also a big speed difference but I think everyone agrees the LCS' sacrifices on the alter of speed went a bit too far. Independence-class still has a lot more aviation space, but FTI's got better cruising range.

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/dcns-thales-jointly-secure-4b-french-frigate-deal

That's one sexy ship. Marine Nationale still stand on position that CIWS system is not necessary. One of model did show RAM system above hangar but it was more a hint towards outside clients I suppose.

That's one sexy ship. Marine Nationale still stand on position that CIWS system is not necessary. One of model did show RAM system above hangar but it was more a hint towards outside clients I suppose.
Both CAMM/Sea Ceptor and the Croatle NG quad pack in SYLVER cells and a 76mm with guided ammunition also has a CIWS capability, so true there's no standard fit CIWS but seems like there are a couple readily available options to fill the gap, even without design modifications.

@BB1984 I doubt Crotale NG is still offered on the market. CAMM/CAAM ER hasn’t yet been integrated and whether it can quad pack is still unknown.

RAM and 76mm Strales are the best CIWS options available today on French designs, as the UAE has already paid to integrate them with the Setis CMS on its 2 Gowind corvettes currently building.

Last edited:
@BB1984 I doubt Crotale NG is still offered on the market. CAMM/CAAM ER hasn’t yet been integrated and whether it can quad pack is still unknown.

RAM and 76mm Strales are the best CIWS options available today on French designs, as the UAE has already paid to integrate them with the Setis CMS on its 2 Gowind corvettes currently building.

Don't know about Crotale availability; I was thinking that maybe being used in the KSAM system would extend the production line/support for it.

Ref quad packs, MBDA's website says "Sea Ceptor will operate from the SYLVER and Mk41 launchers using a quad-pack configuration, various flexible canister configurations are also available" I don't know if they've actually done it and test fired it or not, but at least they claim it can be done.

Good point about the Setis integration.

Ref quad packs, MBDA's website says "Sea Ceptor will operate from the SYLVER and Mk41 launchers using a quad-pack configuration, various flexible canister configurations are also available" I don't know if they've actually done it and test fired it or not, but at least they claim it can be done.

They've sold quad-packed Sea Ceptor in Mk 41's ExLS variant to Canada as the CIWS for the Type 26, and ExLS/Sea Ceptor was test-fired as far back as 2017.

As a quick reminder, this contract aims to procure 4 new frigates, with two interim solutions and the modernisation of the in-service MEKO 200HN frigates. It follows the failure of the previous negotiations with Lockeed Martin and their Freedom class against Naval Group’s Belh@rra frigate, an export version of the French Navy’s FDI.

This time, the contract increased its scope to achieve even more and thus is open to more compagnies.

Competitors include the Dutch Damen with the Sigma 11515HN, the Italian Fincantieri likely with the FREMM, Lockheed Martin again with the HF2 (the Greek version of the MMSC / Freedom class), Babcock of the UK with the Arrowhead 140 (basic design of the Type 31 of the Royal Navy), Navantia from Spain with their F110 design, and Naval Group with the FDI-HN.

From back in March:

From a few days ago:

3 years from first steel cut to launch… not bad at all.

I bet people in Lorient will be cheering the fact that they beat HMS Glasgow (the first T26) to launch even though Naval Group started construction 2+ years (!) after BAE.

FDI Ronarc’h with her PSIM integrated mast fitted shortly after launch. Docked next to a UAE Gowind class corvette which was launched on the same day.

View: https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1591124661945126912?s=20&t=tGMrTPmpOXXCgxaHp0QSRw

Attachments

• 34B2F9E8-CCED-465E-9666-A944DF34F03D.jpeg
    34B2F9E8-CCED-465E-9666-A944DF34F03D.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 45
  • B59E2820-647A-4DC1-AA02-6BD93E4B3D34.png
    B59E2820-647A-4DC1-AA02-6BD93E4B3D34.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 50372E9D-F04E-49C8-88E9-48BB64742BA2.jpeg
    50372E9D-F04E-49C8-88E9-48BB64742BA2.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 3AB0FF0D-09A1-4F62-B1BB-74BC8C798034.png
    3AB0FF0D-09A1-4F62-B1BB-74BC8C798034.png