Convair Carrier Based Attack Recon Aircraft

RAP

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting design I'm not familiar with. Turbojet and ramjet powered, entire forward nose section swung back to allow a/c to be moved on elevators.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1961-CONVAIR-Aircraft-Supersonic-Attack-Recon-Aircraft-BLUEPRINTS-/322187257273?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

Attachments

• s-l1kugy600.jpg
    s-l1kugy600.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 999
  • s-l160f0.jpg
    s-l160f0.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 987
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 964
  • s-l1600d.jpg
    s-l1600d.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 951
  • s-l1600fhg.jpg
    s-l1600fhg.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 928
  • s-l1600g.jpg
    s-l1600g.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 218
Great find RAP;

who can collect the pieces.

And it looks like you got it for a reasonable price! Congrats!

congratulation, on getting that treasure

(unspoken question here if Scott will offer scanned and cleaned copy for sale to compensate expenses and please public interest)

I would guess this is a Convair proposal for the replacement of the A-3J Vigilante. The date and description fit. The engines are not specified but I have read the the J-58 actually started out as a Navy project for a mach 3 attack bomber.

flateric said:
(unspoken question here if Scott will offer scanned and cleaned copy for sale to compensate expenses and please public interest)

x2

First thing I'm going to do with it, and with several of the F2Y large format diagrams, is get 'em scanned in full color, high rez on a large format scanner. The full-rez version of the carrier plane diagram will become part of the APR Patreon catalog, but a lower-rez version will be posted hereabouts. The original will probably go to the SDASM.

You know how sometimes you buy something online, wait impatiently for it to arrive and then when you finally get it you are disappointed? Yeah... that didn't happen here.

It wasn't terribly clear in the auction description that what was for sale were *two* diagrams, with two *different* configurations. The seller only photographed one; the other is very much like the B-70, with four engines side-by-side (inboard two are turbojets, outboard two are ramjets). Also not made clear in the listing, though you could guess from the images, was that these planes are *nuclear* *powered.*

Giggity!

Now to get 'em scanned...

Congratulations! B) :)

First I thought this dark part in the diagram was the "Reconnaissance Package". Now it really looks like an reactor as in other Convair nuclear-powered aircraft projects.
Sometimes we don't see the forest because of all the trees. ::) ;)

Attachments

• s-l1600_reactor_cutout.png
    s-l1600_reactor_cutout.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 544
fightingirish said:
First I thought this dark part in the diagram was the "Reconnaissance Package". Now it really looks like an reactor as in other Convair nuclear-powered aircraft projects.
Sometimes we don't see the forest because of all the trees. ::) ;)

Also note that the cockpit is a heavily shielded "bathtub." Sadly the diagrams don't explain what the reactors was running... presumably the turbojets, since in both designs the TJ's are close to the reactor; but were the ramjets also nuclear? No data.

Two for one, that makes the price even better.

Wow. Now I want to see that UltraMegaSuperCarrier on from which these aircrafts would have stationed on.