Little-known and ill-identified Nakajima airplanes

theponja

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
blackkite said:
The experimental 7-shi Carrier Fighter(Nakajima)
Wing span:11m, Overall length:7.2m, Height:3.2m, Wing area:20m2, Empty:1100kg, MTOW:1600kg, Max speed:160kt, Engine:Nakajima Kotobuki 5 air cooling radial 9 cylinders 560HP(take off).

I'm confused the 3d view of Nakajima 7-Shi in this post is a monoplane when the only picture I've found shows a biplane:

Attachments

• Nakajiima_7-Shi.jpg
    Nakajiima_7-Shi.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 104
I've found the source of that picture, the first attach from LAMPART Japanese Naval Aircraft 1912-1945
and a friend from another forum give me this from the book The Xplanes of Imperial Japanese Army & Navy 1924-45:
seems to be the same aircraft.

I can't read Polish ... less Japanese :(

Attachments

• shi_7_1.jpg
    shi_7_1.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 116
  • shi_7_2.jpg
    shi_7_2.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 119
Hello All,

In the "Xplanes of Imperial Japanese Army and Navy 1924-45" book is described the Nakajima 6-Shi Carrier-borne Special Bomber (六試艦上特殊爆撃機 = Roku-Shi Kanjo Tokushu Bakugekiki). This project was later redesigned and called Nakajima 7-Shi Carrier-borne Special Bomber (七試艦上特殊爆撃機 = Nana-Shi Kanjo Tokushu Bakugekiki), and this second project is descibed in the LAMPART book's page you show. BTW: This project was once again redesigned and called Nakajima 8-Shi Carrier-borne Special Bomber (八試艦上特殊爆撃機 = Hachi-Shi Kanjo Tokushu Bakugekiki, D2N1, company designation RZ).

"Special Bomber" = dive-bomber. For security reason the term "dive-bomber" was not used.

Both projects have nothing to do with the Nakajima 7-Shi Carrier Fighter.

Regards,
LAW

theponja said:
I can't read Polish ... less Japanese :(

I can read Polish.
They write this is Nakajima 6-Shi experimental dive bomber (the first aircraft of such type in Japan) on the photo. But the text is about its successor - Nakajima "7-Shi special bomber" aka N-35 Tokubaku. The specification for 7-Shi dive bomber was issued in 1932 when it became clear that 6-Shi aircraft isn't very successful. The only N-35 prototype was built in late 1933: as well as 6-Shi, it was created by eng. Junichiro Nagahata representing Kaigun Koku Hombu's Department of Development and Nakajima's engineer Ryozo Yamamoto. The aircraft was 2-seat biplane with foldable wings and fixed landing gear. It was powered by Nakajima Kotobuki 2 Kai 1 9-cylinder radial engine (580 hp takeoff power, 460 hp at 3000 m altitude) and could carry one 250-kg bomb. The flight tests results weren't satisfactory (the aircraft kept all the disadvantages of its precursor), so Kaigun Koku Hombu decided to cancel the program.

LAW, redstar72 thanks a lot for clarify the subject. Now is clear to me we have 2 planes with similar name: Nakajima 7-Shi Dive bomber and the Nakajima 7-Shi Carrier Fighter.

Anyone has more information, maybe a 3d view of Nakajima 6/7/8-Shi Dive bomber?

Many thanks for SPF members.
The level of this forum is very high!!!
Unfortunately I can't find any pictures or drawings of this aircraft because this aircraft was a perfect failure one, I think Nakajima Aircraft wanted to delete all of the record of this aircraft.
When dive test, the pilot failed to pull up, the aircraft penetrated into the earth almost 2m and the pilot died.
No2 aircraft did not allow to do flight test.

Hi blackkite,

do you have drawings of the two engined project Nakajima N-50 (the forrunner of the C6N)?

Thanks Maveric

Oh. N-50! It had the same concept of Ki-64 with 1,000hp class tandem twin forced air cooling engines and twin propeller which located wing driven by extended drive shaft. Unfortunately I have no drawings of N50.
It was the same idea of attached P-38 No.2 or No.3 plan by C.L.Johnson.
Finally Nakajima succeeded to develop 2,000 hp class NK9 Homare engine, N-50 became Saiun high speed long range carrier base recon.
There is a twin engine N-50 drawing in Koku Asahi(航空朝日) magazine in 1943. I will check it at the national diet library.

Attachments

• P-38 sketches[1].png
    P-38 sketches[1].png
    220.3 KB · Views: 103
I have finally found a photo of the Nakajima N-35, which was evaluated by the IJN. According to the book The X-Planes of the Imperial Japanese Army & Navy 1924-45 the N-35 and the 7-Shi are definitely two completely different aircraft. I'm attaching the entry on the N-35 from that book.

Attachments

• Nakajima N-35.jpg
    Nakajima N-35.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 95