Unknown aircraft spotted on google earth need help on ID

lucinator

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I was looking at Moffitt Field in San Fransisco and noticed a plane in the corner of the field. I'm pretty sure its a wind tunnel model cause of the location but For the life of me I cant identify what its for; as a delta wing its too stubby for a quiet SST design, and very inefficient as a sub sonic passenger aircraft. It sorta looks like a F4D but the air intake is wrong and none are know to be on display in the area. Because it has a cockpit this unknown aircraft is not a UAV design. Any ideas?

Reminds me of this:

Attachments

• 684l4z.jpg
    684l4z.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 383
man what i wouldn't give for a ground pic, anyone in San Fran area that can help? Also whats the name of the project in the BP's

It does look a bit like some F-16-derived General Dynamics project, but I'm not conversant enough with the subject to confirm.
I'm sure seasoned experts on this board will, though! ;)

EDIT: Think it's pretty close to the General Dynamics E-5 project (see attachment below).
EDIT 2: I hadn't noticed sferrin had already suggested the same! Sorry about that. Well, I guess it shows we've definitely got a lead here. The fact they built a full-scale mock-up for it says something about how far they went with that concept, doesn't it?

Attachments

• GD-E-5.jpg
    GD-E-5.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 352
I'd say it might be this:

index.php

(E-7 Mockup)

Yea thats probably it.
I'm not familiar with the project, and google isnt being kind. Could you post a link about the project?