Russian 6th Generation Fighter News

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score

Moscow is designing its sixth-generation airframe to be capable of hypersonic speeds. “It will be hypersonic at several Mach, single-seat, invisible to the enemy, super-maneuverable, multifunctional and made of composite materials,” Mikhailov said. “The aircraft will have a cockpit, but will be able to fly with both a pilot and without a pilot. That is, it will combine a manned and unmanned variant.”

Firefox?

Of course this is all propaganda since the Russians aren't stupid when it comes to aeronautics. They know as well as we do that very fast and stealthy don't mix. They better than everybody except maybe the Chinese that when you have a fast aircraft it can have all the RCS reduction imaginable(Blackbird Family is a good example) and still show up on radar cause your hot exhaust shows up on Radar. So if you want to go double that speed, that exhaust plume is gonna be even bigger.

A heat source will not show up on radar, only on heat (infra red) sensors. Rather like a radar guided missile cannot be used in the same manner, you need a sidewinder infra red style.

So they are sensitive enough to detect the different mass of the hot air, blimey, some sensitivity there. Thanks for the lesson, learned something new today.

Well it's not the difference of mass... It would be the difference in pressure created by heat... But that is not what the radars pick up. The gas gets heated up to such extreme temperatures and then it starts releasing it's energy (from heat) in the form of electromagnetic radiation in the radar frequency domain.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
No, the exhaust plume itself can be detectable on radar when its very hot, which it will be for a hypersonic vehicle. This was seen on the SR-71.

There are even a few pics out there of a full scale Blackbird model on a pole for RCS testing and the model has exhaust plumes on it.

Also as far as I can tell from my research through the archives at the museum where i work and picking the brains of my co-workers Kelly Johnson was never able to figure out how to make those exhaust plumes invisible to radar and from the aeronautical engineers who I work with also don't think that it is possible with today's tech.

M=5 - 10

236140_1000.jpg

GOSNIIAS guru Fedosov opinion on AI and 6G

A 6th gen Russian fighter is not so urgent especially from MiG which is a shell of the past. The Su-57M is already 5.5 gen in many ways with new sensors and much more power and efficient engines, a few more upgrades and it can challenge even what America wants with the NGAD to replace the F-22, which if you look at requirements look much like Su-57M with long range and broadband sensors.

A 6th gen Russian fighter is not so urgent especially from MiG which is a shell of the past. The Su-57M is already 5.5 gen in many ways with new sensors and much more power and efficient engines, a few more upgrades and it can challenge even what America wants with the NGAD to replace the F-22, which if you look at requirements look much like Su-57M with long range and broadband sensors.
How do you define 5.5??

Also as far as I can tell from my research through the archives at the museum where i work and picking the brains of my co-workers Kelly Johnson was never able to figure out how to make those exhaust plumes invisible to radar and from the aeronautical engineers who I work with also don't think that it is possible with today's tech.
The solution to pollution is dilution …. er …. you would need to mix huge amounts of cool ambient air into the exhaust plume to cool it enough that it will not show on IR or radar sensors.

Last edited:
This is from the topic "I haven't seen the film, but I condemn it" Where does this statement about 5.5 come from? Do you have drawings or calculated data?

Weren't there some projects regarding the use of various additives to the fuel, such as caesium? Did those not work as well as was hoped?

The solution to pollution is dilution …. er …. you would need to mix in huge amounts of cool ambient air into the exhaust plume to cool it enough that it will not show on IR or radar sensors.
So that makes this an after... cooler? Good lord that tastes bad to say.

How do you define 5.5??
How does one define gen 6? What could gen 6 do, that gen5 couldn't do out of the box or with small upgrade?
If gen 4->5 is clearly cut, by virtue of VLO, than what is gen6?

Adaptive engines, powerplant integrated generators for directed energy weapons/EW, advanced aerodynamics (tailless, new aerodynamic effectors, fluidic controls), VLO, advanced thermal management, part of SoS.
None of this may be excerpt last one, can be achieved with 'small upgrade'.

How does one define gen 6? What could gen 6 do, that gen5 couldn't do out of the box or with small upgrade?
If gen 4->5 is clearly cut, by virtue of VLO, than what is gen6?
Answering a question with a question when you posted a claim in the first place is not helpful.

How do you define 5.5??
It’s clear Su-57M is the baseline for 5.5 gen since it combines 5th fighter with 6th gen technology. New Stage 2 AL-51F-1 engines with stealthy nozzles for VLO, wide bandwidth sensors from X band to L band to IR to UV, AI technology to team with S-70 Okhotnik, advanced aerodynamics with tiny vertical tails for low drag and stealth, DIRCM which is pretty much direct energy protection against missile seakers.

The radar return of the A-12/SR-71exhaust was partially mitigated by adding cesium to the fuel to create an ionization cloud. Here are some details of the additive and its effects:
cesium fuel additive

It’s clear Su-57M is the baseline for 5.5 gen since it combines 5th fighter with 6th gen technology. New Stage 2 AL-51F-1 engines with stealthy nozzles for VLO, wide bandwidth sensors from X band to L band to IR to UV, AI technology to team with S-70 Okhotnik, advanced aerodynamics with tiny vertical tails for low drag and stealth, DIRCM which is pretty much direct energy protection against missile seakers.
1) Is AL-51F-1 adaptive cycle engine? Are the stealth features on the nozzle and engine blades, cooling devices significantly better than f-22 to be considered 5.5 gen? If so what are they?

2) wide bandwidth sensors are not the whole equation of current trend of advancing above and beyond 5th gen. It's wide range EMBEDDED sensors to provide 360 degree coverage in a STEALTHY manner. Can you elaborate how the su-57m is a significant step above f-22 and f-35 in this trend and how its onboard processor can fuse all these information in a way significantly better than f-22 or f-35?

3) tiny vertical tails do not translate automatically to smaller RCS than larger tails. In some instances, larger surface is better in RCS management. No tail surfaces - yes. but just tiny - no.