1959 Unknown Aircraft Design-Olympic Contender

Dynoman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone could confirm this design of this model. It looks like an ATR, but with conventional tail. Its of interest because it was a model that was photographed in the hands of Aristotle Onassis in 1959 (at that time one of the richest men in the world, who had just acquired T.A.E. National Greek transport in 1957 and renamed it Olympic Airways).

Only knowledge of the photo:
1) Aristotle Onassis was the man holding the model
2) Photographed on 3 November 1959 in Monaco

I know ATR did not emerge until the early 1970's, (BTW Olympic Airlines (not Olympic Airways) did acquire ATRs in 2005), and could be a design of a British manufacturer. Olympic Airways worked very closely with BEA as the latter was considered a 'pool' airline working with Olympic Airways during its formative stages, offering training, access to airport gates, and was a 'purchasing agent' for Olympic when they obtained three De Havilland Comet 4B's.

Attachments

• 1959_Unknown.jpg
    1959_Unknown.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 266
The inboard intakes on the engine are typical of the Dart Herald.

Yes, I'd definitely say that is a Dart Herald.

Barnes Handley Page Aircraft since 1907 says that HP Herald G-APWA flew to Nice on 3rd Dec 1959 for demonstrations to Prince Rainier of Monaco and Onassis

Thank you all! With that information I was able to search on the Dart Herald and came up with this:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19591207&id=aOo-AAAAIBAJ&sjid=-EwMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4329,4954748&hl=en

Onassis Praises Dart Herald after having the aircraft demonstrated to him by the company on a flight from London to Paris.