Film - "Look to Lockheed for Leadership" (1940) (YouTube)

Boxman

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Just came across the film "Look to Lockheed for Leadership" posted by Jeff Quitney on YouTube. It doesn't really fit any specific topics, but I thought others might find it interesting. The film is captioned as having a 1941 date, but it would seem 1940 is more likely.

As one might expect, it is a typical film touting a company's achievements, but aside from its value as an historical document of then-contemporary aviation, there are some other aspects which I genuinely found enlightening. Such as Lockheed illustrating its customer airlines and the specific routes they flew across the United States, Canada, Central & South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia and the Pacific; drawings and a cabin mock-up of the Lockheed Model 44 Excalibur; customer surveys sent out to the airlines - including one sent to some US Naval Aviator named "Lt. J.S. Thatch" [sic] of VP-5 in the Panama Canal Zone (12 min 40 sec mark); plus there's footage of some fellow messing around on a model in an air tunnel at the 13 min 54 sec mark, who looks like he might go far as an aircraft designer if he sticks to it...* Again, those are just a few of the things that caught my eye and interest - others may catch more, including very early P-38 footage toward the conclusion.
*Of course, I am referring to John S. "Jimmy" Thach and Kelly Johnson above. It is somewhat interesting that Lockheed would solicit the opinion of a Naval Lieutenant operating patrol flying boats (Consolidated P2Y) in the PCZ. One might think that survey would go to someone of a higher rank. Nonetheless, Thach ("Thatch"[sic]) would leave the flying boats of VP-5 for Fighter Squadron 3 (VF-3) in June 1939 and go on to do some pretty good things... ;)

UPDATE (January 2020) - The Jeff Quitney page was knocked out by YouTube some time ago. However, Lockheed Martin has posted "Look to Lockheed for Leadership" on their own YouTube page. See below:

Last edited: