Flying Wings and Radical Things: Northrop's Secret Aerospace Projects & Concepts

fightingirish,

Great find! Thanks for sharing it.

The Western Museum of Flight, where this presentation was made, is also a pretty cool place. It's a very small place, but cool none-the-less.

Got my copy today. Really surprising and splendid book. :eek:

Can anyone, who has a copy of this book, say if it makes any mention of Northrop having worked on any stealth rotorcraft? In addition to the Comanche and Osama Bin Laden-raid Stealth Hawk, there have been rumours of other stealthy rotorcraft being tested at Groom Lake. I'd imagine Northrop might have had some input into the stealth technology used if such helicopters were indeed flown. Thanks.

500 Fan.

Part 2 of Tony Chong's "Flying Wings Radical Things" presentation released on April 6

Enjoy!

Silencer1 said:
Part 2 of Tony Chong's "Flying Wings Radical Things" presentation released on April 6
[...]
Part 2 of Aerospace historian Tony Chong's presentation about Northrop's rare, unique and formerly secret aircraft projects and concepts.
Link:
Code:
https://youtu.be/uUNLf9OfWDA
Yes!!! :) B)

Bumping this topic.

I had the great pleasure of catching up with Tony Chong while in LA, and he gave me a printed copy of the book. I'm reading it properly from start to finish and its lovely to have it in print copy rather than just the PDF version.

I highly recommend this book for all projects fans. Buy a copy!

Can anyone, who has a copy of this book, say if it makes any mention of Northrop having worked on any stealth rotorcraft? In addition to the Comanche and Osama Bin Laden-raid Stealth Hawk, there have been rumours of other stealthy rotorcraft being tested at Groom Lake. I'd imagine Northrop might have had some input into the stealth technology used if such helicopters were indeed flown. Thanks.

500 Fan.
We, as in Northrop White World Advanced Design, were approached, quite informally as I recall, to suggest some design changes to improve the signature of helicopters. We believed it was Sikorsky and John Binden designed something with a chine down the side. We heard nothing more. I suspect the real LO experts were busy with YF-23. Tony Chongs book is excellent and I even get a mention in the acknowledgements.

Is the PDF version no long available?
I bought it direct from Specialty Press. It seems they don' t offer PDFs now?

I am glad I have it in printed form, as it is a fabulous book, very well laid out and print quality is excellent. I understand it may be hard to locate at a good price though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom