British Secret Projects 1 : Jet Fighters Since 1950 (New Edition)

AL

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
http://www.crecy.co.uk/british-secret-projects-1

Is this a second edition of the original BSP1?

I would say so. Annoyingly the blurb has been lifted straight from the original edition, it mentions Keith Woodcock’s cover painting of the Fairey Delta of the original edition.
Might be tempted to renew if there is enough new material in it, sadly the description gives no indication of how large the changes are.

Hood et al, some clarification.

Crecy Publishing are aiming to republish the British Secret Projects series (what we on SPF call BSP1, 2, 3 and 4) as new editions with plenty of updates, new material and photographs. Volume 1 is currently in preparation but watch out for the others in the future.

Hope this helps

Chris

newsdeskdan said:
ov-101 said:
The old cover is much better than this.

I thought the paintings on the covers of the original series really dated them. And who doesn't love the AW.169?

AW%20169.jpg

I just like the painting style of the original series. And I also love AW.169.

From Tony:

This is a new edition of the first BSP. I will not be starting work on it until about mid-May, but I would guess that it should have about 25% new materials and I will also replace as many of the photos as I can. Quite a lot of new fighter stuff has appeared including the background to Eurofighter. Handover should be mid-August.

From Crecy:

Presenting a coherent, fully revised and updated picture of British fighter development and evolution, this book lifts the lid on a fascinating subject and provides a unique insight into a secret world.
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

ISBN: 9781910809051
Binding: Hardback
Dimensions: 280mm x 210mm
Pages: 224
Photos/Illus: 400 photos & drawings
This product will be in stock on Monday 31. October, 2016.

Attachments

• 9781910809051.jpg
    9781910809051.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 763
I know there's a fair amount of new material to be incorporated since the first edition in 1999. Jet Bombers will likely have less additional material.

Hood said:
Might be tempted to renew if there is enough new material in it, sadly the description gives no indication of how large the changes are.

x2

I don't think this book generally gets the credit it deserves. It was first published 16 years ago, before the internet really kicked in, and featured around 150 designs, most of which had never been seen by the public before. And it's one of those books you can go back to time after time and always find something you hadn't really noticed before. It was a real achievement and I can't wait to see the revised edition!

I look forward to it, with 25% new material this will be a worthwhile addition. As Dan says, the first book came out a long time ago now and undoubtedly given the greater interest and research in this area much new material has been unearthed.

I only hope Crecy don't mess around too much with the layout, I wasn't impressed with the amount of white space leftover on some pages in JSP:2 and US SP:1.

I am sorry to say, but in this case the painting was a lot better then the 3D they have used for the cover.
Ronnie ( Skyraider3D) and a few other guys can do 3D that is a lot better then the current cover, so I wonder why they didn't contacted...

BAROBA said:
I am sorry to say, but in this case the painting was a lot better then the 3D they have used for the cover.
Ronnie ( Skyraider3D) and a few other guys can do 3D that is a lot better then the current cover, so I wonder why they didn't contacted...

Ronnie sure knows his stuff - can't wait to see what he does next! I will still be front of the queue to pick up the updated BSP1 though.

BAROBA said:

Not sure who's work it is but it may not be final anyway. Its quite common to have placeholder or non-final art in early promotion. Also - Ronnie isn't cheap.

My dear Tony Buttler,

I hope to see in this great book some of little known fighter Projects,such as BAe SP.105,
SP.110,SP.113 also APD.1017,APD.1022,P.1240,P.1241,P.1244,P.1245 & P.1246.

I foolishly combined my order for 'On Atlas' shoulders' with this, so I'll be waiting a bit longer for both :(

Hi All.
Thought you might like to know that I have just completed the index for the BSP1 Second Edition. So I think it should be going to print pretty soon. And I would hope that the late April date for availability should be fairly close.
And, in case you are interested, I am just over half way through the full revision of BSP2: Jet Bombers. Not so much new information in this one, though there are some new drawings (and text) plus one or two that were accidentally omitted from the first edition which I did not spot in the proofs all those years ago. Sorry about that. Lots of new photos as well.
Very best wishes to you all. Tony.

Amazon UK finally revised the revised delivery date to match Crecy, when the last date in February slipped again, Amazon put it to the End of march but a check on the Crecy site listed the 28th of April, so hopefully it will finally be out in a months time.

Just contacted Crecy to see if the books been published yet and its at the printers, so another 5-6 weeks :eek:

Geoff_B said:
Just contacted Crecy to see if the books been published yet and its at the printers, so another 5-6 weeks :eek:

I make that end June or the first two weeks of July. I can't wait. B)

Hi All.
I understand that the second edition of British Secret Projects I: Jet Fighters should be delivered to Crecy from the printers very shortly. Consequently, I have been asked by Crecy to be on hand for book signing at the Duxford Flying Legends Show on Saturday July 8th (only). If any of you are going to be at the Show then do please pop in if you get the chance. It would be great to see you.

All we need is some good weather - and fingers crossed that the books are delivered safely!

Very best wishes,
Tony.

2e Editn. already ordered. Let July come quick...

After an initial put back by Amazon from the 30th June to the 30th July I got an order update email saying the book should be delivered between 5th and 6th of July.

So hoping we should be able to get it this week. ;D

Going to be interesting to see how different this 2nd edition not only with the updated information on various projects, newly found projects but also to see how they style has evolved from Midland to Crecy.

Checking my amazon account it appears my copy is out for delivery today, so will see when I get home if it is.

Might have to adjust my plans for the evening if has been delivered ;D

What can I say, yes it arrived and yes it did disrupt my plans somewhat as had to force myself to cook dinner and then go out for fuel and shopping before I dared settle down just for the initial flick through. Its a lot beefier than the first edition a lot of the photographs have been changed, lot's of fresh model photos and the drawings whilst some are the same from the first volume they are all reproduced in a half a page size making them far clearer (possible sign of distortion a bit from squishing to fit but not too noticeable). There's quite a bit of new stuff, that's come out of the woodwork, plus a lot more on the later 70's - 90's designs which may keep me busy. Next job is to sit down and read it cover to cover !.

So impressed; that like the first edition I have already ordered a 2nd copy for general reading and modelling purposes.

Oh and the cover art is a different artwork of the AW169 from the one shown in the advertising.

Geoff,

Sounds worth getting then! Any new STOVL stuff, e.g. Warton P125?

Yes, if there's enough new material then I'll probably get a copy too.

I still remember coming across the first edition when I was an undergrad at university many moons ago, it opened a new world and got me hooked on the secret project bug ever since.

Harrier said:
Geoff,

Sounds worth getting then! Any new STOVL stuff, e.g. Warton P125?

Quite a bit of new STOVL stuff and evolutions of the Harrier including a YAK-141 look alike and an enlarged Harrier II evolution with AMRAAM semi recessed in its back aft of the larger wing. Quite a few of the gripenesk types with the augmented lift devices too.

Sounds like P1230 and some Warton designs. Thanks.

The more I hear about the various projects that are in the book the more I like it, Christmas can't come soon enough. B)

Yes its a good 2nd edition, the book has benefitted from additional information that's arisen in the past 15 yrs many of the photographs have been replaced, there are a lot more manufacturers models (or specifically built display models from the likes of John Hall and Joe Cherrie(s) ) to help illustrate the concepts where 3 view drawings fail to do them justice.

Just a shame it was too humid last night, I just felt too drained to start reading it and although I did have another flick through to confirm it was the P1230 harrier projects.

Back
Top Bottom