Register here

Author Topic: GQM-163A Coyote Target Missile  (Read 2244 times)

Offline fredymac

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
GQM-163A Coyote Target Missile
« on: April 07, 2016, 04:36:22 am »
Found an obscure Youtube channel with a couple test launches of the Coyote.  Unfortunately,  no video of the missile under ramjet power at cruise speed.  If there is an existing post dedicated to the Coyote please move this.  I didn't find anything in the search.

There are a couple of BQM target drones as well.

Offline sferrin

Re: GQM-163A Coyote Target Missile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 07:16:18 am »
This was the only one I'd ever seen:

And I found it ages ago, on some random site. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:34:16 am by sferrin »
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline bring_it_on

• I really should change my personal text
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 03:38:00 pm »
Wily Coyote: Evolving the US Navy's supersonic anti-ship missile surrogate - Jane's IDR November, 2016

High diver

In March 2006 PMA-208 started working in conjunction with Orbital to develop a modification that would enable the GQM-163A to perform a powered dive in order to replicate the high-altitude cruise/near-vertical dive attack profile associated with a specific high-diving missile threat. A single GQM-163A was adapted to support the high-diver modification: this was in large part a software modification, but the extended flight time of the vehicle in high-diver mode also presented a challenge in terms of heat build-up and thermal management, necessitating some minor engineering changes to improve the thermal resistance of the on-board electronics.

A successful operational flight demonstration of the new high-diving mode was completed in July 2010. A number of mission-specific equipment kits were subsequently purchased to support GQM-163A targets configured with the heritage FES; the high-diver capability can be incorporated as a kit in all OFES targets and has been partially integrated into FRP-8 assets and beyond to reduce build time.

"To date, there have been 13 high-diver missions since the demo flight," said Capt Cecil, adding, "Additional modifications to high-diver capabilities continue to be made to meet test requirements. The GQM-163A recently completed high-diver flights at White Sands Missile Range that flew higher and faster than previous operations [52,000 ft and Mach 4]."

A further effort is the development and embodiment of an improved flight termination system kit. The objective here is to enable the Coyote target to fly a closer approach to manned ships conducting weapons system testing.

"Current range safety operating procedures limit the target to get no closer than 2.5 miles from manned ships," said Capt Cecil. "Modifications to the flight termination system are being made, which may allow the target to fly closer to a manned ship."

Work continues on the closer approach effort and associated range-safety approval for the GQM-163A target. In December 2015, NAVAIR notified its intention to award a delivery order to Orbital ATK to procure six OFES closer-approach kits in support of the GQM-163A programme.

Another initiative is the integration of a non-developmental government off-the-shelf Joint Advanced Missile Instrumentation (JAMI) Target Integrated Module (JTIM) into the OFES. NAVAIR in April 2016 notified its intention to contract Orbital ATK for this work, together with the provision of associated launch equipment for use in Quad Launch operations.

"Launch site preparation and required upgrades to the targets [for Quad Launch] are currently in work," Capt Cecil confirmed to IHS Jane's . "These are expected to be complete in 2018."

Offline sferrin

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 07:03:09 pm »
One wonders what advantage this has over the cheaper, faster, higher flying AQM-37C.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline aim9xray

• Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 09:12:36 pm »
Ground launch. Cheaper mission cost, if you count in the AQM-37C's non-expendable manned booster system.

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 09:09:51 am »
They are also looking at an AQM-37C/D replacement RFI soon.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:23:48 am by bring_it_on »