Barling Propellor-Driven VTOL Aircraft Patent, 1940 (US2308802 A)

W

Wingknut

This one is a tail-sitter VTOL aircraft patent, filed by Walter Barling. (He of XNBL-1 triplane bomber fame: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12991.msg275383.html#msg275383)

Filed June 18th, 1940, http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US2308802

“One object of the invention is the provision of an aircraft adapted for high speed travel in normal flight and capable of taking off and landing in a substantially vertical direction.
Another object of the invention is the provision of an aircraft adapted to take off and land substantially vertically, and having a tail structure which is movable axially of the body, with a shock absorbing connection between tail structure and the body for effectively cushioning the shock of landing. …
Another object of the invention is the provision of an aircraft having a lifting propeller and capable of substantailly [sic] vertical flight, the propeller driving engine or engines being releasably connected to the aircraft body on which the propeller is rotatable so that the engines may descend independently of the aircraft body in case of engine failure.”

Attachments

• Barling VTOL Aircraft Patent (US2308802) (1).png
    Barling VTOL Aircraft Patent (US2308802) (1).png
    80.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Barling VTOL Aircraft Patent (US2308802) (2).png
    Barling VTOL Aircraft Patent (US2308802) (2).png
    63.5 KB · Views: 85
I take it that the patent is referring to some kind of clutch? Rather then the alternative possibilities of ejecting engines to save weight in an emergency or ejecting the airfame so that the engine can rotate down on its own? ??? :eek:

Reminds me of the Convair XFY-1 Pogo and Lockheed XFV-1 Salmon - especially the former. -SP

Thanks, folks.
Yes, there is indeed a Pogo / Salmon feel to the design.

I could be wrong but I think Barling did envisage something like emergency engine-ejection - for instance, the full patent document also says:

"The engine is moved out far enough so that the bar 81 clears the guides 80 and 84, and then continues to move outwardly until the U-shaped lower end of the bar 81 can release itself from the pin 02, when the engine falls between adjacent tail surfaces. The end of the bar 81 is preferably connected by a cable 85 to a parachute 86 which is packed in a compartment in the empennage, and which may be pulled lout automatically by the weight of the engine `so that the engine can descend under the support of the parachute which is caused to open automatically in any suitable manner."

Thanks again and all best, 'Wingknut'