Cadillac Aircraft Corporation

Dynoman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Inglis Uppercu, founder of the Aeromarine Plane and Motor Co., continued to dabble in aviation enterprises after the collapse of the Aeromarine Airways venture. Uppercu, along with Henry G. McCarroll formed the Cadillac Aircraft Corporation in Northville, MI, in February 1929. The first design was the 1929 Duoplane, christened the Voyager (seen below). The second aircraft of 1930 was the MAC-1. The production facility was the former Stinson plant in Northville. Plans were to build one aircraft a week with a retail cost of under $15,000 per aircraft. The company had 60 stockholders and was formed with some of Detroit's most prominent auto businessmen. Unfortunately, the economy entered a depression and the venture folded circa 1930. Still looking for a photo of the MAC-1.

Attachments

• MCCarroll_Duoplane.jpg
    MCCarroll_Duoplane.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 596
  • MCCarroll_Duoplane_NX595E_01_large.jpg
    MCCarroll_Duoplane_NX595E_01_large.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 596
The Duoplane was framed in wood and covered in plywood. Plans for the production aircraft were to cover the aircraft in duralumin. Test flights on the aircraft were carried out by Lt Commander George R. Pond, USNR. The aircraft flew at approximately 100 mph. The aircraft was powered by two 100 hp Kinner K-5 radial engines mounted in streamlined nacelles. The aircraft had a useful load of 1,025 lbs. Only one example of the Duoplane was built (NX595E). The aircraft's 46 feet wingspan was later modified to 48 feet and the engines were replaced with two 165 hp R-540 Whirlwind engines.

Nice info and pics, Dynoman. However...

Dynoman said:
Inglis Uppercu, founder of the Aeromarine Plane and Motor Co.

It is important to add that Uppercu was also the owner of Detroit's Cadillac dealership!

Dynoman said:
The first design was the 1929 Duoplane, christened the Voyager (seen below)

Hmm... take a closer look. It was the "Voyageur".

Dynoman said:
Still looking for a photo of the MAC-1.

I have never seen a photo of the MAC-1 either!

Thanks Skyblazer! The MAC-1 was registered as NC815Y and flew with an American Cirrus engine. It was registered in Detroit, but I haven't seen any other information on it.

Dynoman said:
Thanks Skyblazer! The MAC-1 was registered as NC815Y and flew with an American Cirrus engine. It was registered in Detroit, but I haven't seen any other information on it.

Indeed. AeroKnow mentions a "Cadillac Aircraft Corp. Voyageur Macair Duoplane" as a four-seat monoplane flying boat distinct from the X595E prototype, likely the same as the MAC-1. It also more or less establishes the existence of an entity called Macair, presumably founded by McCarroll beside (or after) Cadillac Aircraft, which explains the designation "MAC-1" as being that entity's first model. This being said, if both the "Voyageur" and the MAC-1 were called Duoplanes, chances are the latter was probably simply a derivative of the former... the absence of any photos is annoying!

According to the very richly documented book Michigan Aircraft Manufacturers by Robert F. Pauley, the Cadillac Voyageur and McCarroll Duoplane were two names used for one and the same aircraft. However, the author mentions only the Kinner engine, so we still have to see a photo of the MAC-1 to be sure that it was indeed the same design with just different engines...

Another interesting bit of trivia is the fact that the one-off Issoudun H-23 "Amphib" all-metal amphibian [487M (c/n 1)] was built in the same factory. I'm attaching a photo of it as well as the commentary summing it all up. I haven't found much about the "Amphib". I don't even know if the name was official. However I have a hunch that the type may have been set up by French immigrants; the fact that Issoudun is a French city located in France's #23 district seems hardly a coincidence to me...

Attachments

• Issoudun H-23.jpg
    Issoudun H-23.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 264
A slightly clearer version of this H-23:

Attachments

• Issoudun H-23 flying boat 1930 Issoudun Aircraft Corp, Northville Michigan.jpg
    Issoudun H-23 flying boat 1930 Issoudun Aircraft Corp, Northville Michigan.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 222
Close up picture of the Voyageur.

Attachments

• Cadillac amphibian.jpg
    Cadillac amphibian.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 147