Register here

Author Topic: US/Russian Military Interventions in Syria  (Read 8187 times)

Offline phrenzy

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • as long as all they ask me about is the air war...
Re: US/Russian Military Interventions in Syria
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2017, 06:27:46 am »
Not arguing, just caught this in an FP morning brief a few minutes ago, apparently an official Russian statement:

" Russia: Russia declared Monday it would treat U.S.-led coalition planes west of the Euphrates river in Syria as targets after the coalition downed a Syrian regime fighter jet Sunday."
We train young men to drop fire on people. Yet their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it is obscene.  -  Kurtz

Offline GTX

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • All hail the God of Frustration!!!
    • Beyond The Sprues

Offline phrenzy

« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2017, 05:38:36 am »
We train young men to drop fire on people. Yet their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it is obscene.  -  Kurtz

Offline phrenzy

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2017, 09:11:07 am »
Australian bugs are bugging out:

Offline GTX

• All hail the God of Frustration!!!
    • Beyond The Sprues
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2017, 10:44:37 am »
Not exactly "bugging out".  Just pausing to see what the situation is.

Offline phrenzy

« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2017, 04:02:46 pm »
True, excuse the hyperbole.

Offline phrenzy

Offline sferrin

"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline phrenzy

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2017, 12:37:15 pm »
Do you have a good link? Mostly wondering what they fired at who, hopefully something old against ISIS in syria is and it's the last we'll hear about it, the Iranians have been surprisingly cooperative through the whole thing even though they are fighting the West on one side and against on the other.
 I'm sure it'll turn up on one of the daily bulk emails that I get loaded down with in my email but I'm tracking this and collecting sources from as close to the dates as they happen. Hopefully someone can pull some useful lessons out of the quagmire so I'm trying stay on top of who knew what when (or thoughtht they knew), what was used or the thought to be used add what the responses were in escilation/de-escalation.  Might be a paper on proportional response or operations in contested Multi-state conflicts eventually.

Can't help but feel this is going to break out in Ukraine again, anyone know much of a professor Almond of the crisis research centre? (,Brit) I know I've seen the name before and I've been him give interviews most recenty on RT but I've been reading his thoughts on the situation which is seem fairly up to date, but I don't really know him or hits organisations reputation.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:39:04 pm by phrenzy »

Offline phrenzy

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2017, 03:54:14 pm »
Was it this Shehab-3 launch in Deir el-Zour? The revolutionary guards are sending a pretty major signal with that... In response to a terror attack they strike with one of their premier semi strategic weapons? If they're not sending a signal for their intentions in Iraq after this fight is over I don't know what they're thinking, they're already causing a headache over the nuclear deal and obviously from the article below they've got Israeli attention in a big way. If Israeli intelligence is briefing the media they're trying to pull levers in other places. The Iranian's are looking for this attention but with everything that's happening I don't quite get why.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-launches-missile-strike-into-syria-for-tehran-attacks/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:55:45 pm by phrenzy »

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2017, 06:50:31 pm »
"The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection." - Thomas Paine

"On what principle is it that with nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?" - Lord Macaulay

Offline phrenzy

« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2017, 08:28:32 pm »
It's a mountain in Israel, Har (or Tel) Magiddo, not a time, but yes as scarily close to this mess, in fact I bet US, Russian and Syrian aircraft can get a good look at it with sensors at the right altitude.

(Had to edit it after looking at a map again its a little further inland from the Syrian border than I thought, but your talking some number of nautical miles that's not completely unrealistic).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:34:17 pm by phrenzy »

Offline phrenzy

« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2017, 12:37:02 am »
Who's genius idea was this? If they didn't know Shogyu was taking a flight then we're all lost and if they did, well there taking a much harder line than we thought. Have to wonder at what level an order to buzz Sergey's personal jet gets given?

*Edit* got my Sergey' and Sergeys mixed up. I know this worked out for Yamimoto, but wasn't there a world war first?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:41:21 am by phrenzy »

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2017, 12:52:23 am »
Who's genius idea was this?

What, intercepting the other guy's planes? Happens all the time. A US plane was intercepted by a Russian plane at a distance of something like five *feet* a few days ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/20/politics/russian-su-27-five-feet-from-us-aircraft/index.html
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline phrenzy

« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2017, 01:15:58 am »
Was James Mattis on board flying into or out of a potential Warzone?