Planeless aircraft

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

can anyone explain to me how this Planeless aircraft work ?.

http://www.magazineart.org/main.php/v/technical/sciencemechanics/Science+and+Mechanics+1935-12.jpg.html

Attachments

• Science and Mechanics 1935-12.jpg
    Science and Mechanics 1935-12.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 341
Dear Hesham, there is no explanation for it.
It is a typical stunning image scif-fi-alike extremely popular on "something-mechanics" magazine covers of that times.

Those colorful and powerful covers wanted only to capture imagination of the readers, nothing more than that.
The beutiful drawing often has nothing behind by technical point of view.

My dear Archipeppe,

I think behind every new idea,a new concept.

Google "Burlington Zephyr" A light-rail streamliner of the period. The flying thing looks like a Zephyr. I presume that is what the painting is based on.

Bill Walker said:
It may have been at least loosely based on the Lippish Aerodyne. Do we have a thread for those projects?

Or the big grill at the front could have been cooling air for the hamsters that powered the infinite improbability drive.
the infinite improbability drive.

Too soon, such article is dateb back 1935 while the Lippisch studies started during WWII and reached their height in the 1955-60 timeframe.

Just a stab in the dark, but perhaps that grill up the front was the intake for something like a turbofan which had thrust vectored downward under the fuselage?

I think some of you, since it appears to be a mag-lift train, are on the right track. -SP

Triton said:
Suction lift?

Well, considering the caption on the cover: "Suction lifts planeless aircraft" I think there is little doubt as to this being the (theoretical) technology at work...

Back
Top Bottom