Tzoli

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I've recently found this pretty interesting Japanese Project at the Hiraga Archive.
It looks like a hybrid cruiser-carrier warship from 1920's era. There seems to be a few variants mostly by how large the hanger should be and where to locate the conning tower and AA guns.
Apart from the unique look of this ship design the stats are even more interesting!

Dimensions: 231,65m x 18,3m x 5.5m
Displacement: 10,000tons standard
Engine Power: 60.000shp, 4 shafts
Maximum Speed: 53km/h (29knots)
Armour: Belt: 51-76mm, Deck: 51-76mm
Armaments:
6x3 152mm Guns
2x2 120mm AA Guns
8x1 610mm Torpedo tubes
5-9 Aircraft

4JB2b8D.jpg

GtPfn6n.png

vwGB6lI.png

FqKqXQ0.png

oeDQQEp.png

OJR7i9F.png

OCGSt3k.jpg

9mGXxrD.png

A very interesting. Certainly compares well against the similar designs pursued elsewhere during the late 1920s-mid-30s. Actually this is perhaps one of the more plausible hybrids I've seen, though the short flightdeck would have posed problems. The lip at the end could either be to smooth the airflow over the flight deck, or indeed to inpart a little extra vertical momentum to make sure the aircraft clears the turrets.

What was the obsession with mounting heavy DP guns so high up in the ship. The Hiraga 1930 battleship has the same style.

Hood said:
What was the obsession with mounting heavy DP guns so high up in the ship. The Hiraga 1930 battleship has the same style.

To provide clear firing arcs and excellent line of sight.

As for the design others suggest not a good one because of it's hybrid nature and heavy armament on only 10.000tons.