Sterling prototype assault rifle

kaiserbill

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I'd seen this a while back, but had recently come across it again. A search has revealed nothing here on the site.
It appears to be a 7,62mm NATO calibre assault rifle prototype, interestingly in blowback. There appear to be at least 2 prototypes, as one has lugs on the rear tubular receiver that looks like it may have been for a stock of some sort. in the forum below, a fellow makes mention that there are two slightly different receiver types.

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=27423&p=151290&viewfull=1

Apart from the attachments below,there are a few more pics in this link above.

The only other assault rifle that I know of that used blowback was the Gustloff Sturmgewehr VG1-5. Although that used a system of delayed blowback, there is some doubt whether the "delayed" blowback on that actually made a difference. The unique way in which part of the forward receiver/barrel shroud moved, making it a de facto heavy bolt, seemed always to me far more akin to a direct blowback...

It appears to use a Sterling SMG trigger/handgrip.
Some of the speculation out there wonders whether it was a naval or vehicle mounted weapon, but the magazine feed seems to rather obviously (to me at least) rule that out.
Other speculation I've seen is that it might have been a "basic" cheap assault rifle in case of WW3 ever breaking out.
In one of the attachments, a person who visited the Sterling works in Dagenham can be seen holding something that appears to be one of the prototypes.

Certainly, a direct blowback in such a large calibre (7,62X51mm) seems like quite a handful, to understate things.

There is a lack of real info out there on the web, and I was wondering if anybody has any further info about this design and its history?

Attachments

• sterling1.jpg
    sterling1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 543
  • sterling3.jpg
    sterling3.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 542
  • Sterling2.jpg
    Sterling2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 539
CJGibson said:
Any dates related to this beast?

Chris

I don't have anything further unfortunately, Chris.
I assume it's a Cold War design. There is some confusion out there, with some saying it fires from an open bolt, and some saying a closed bolt.
Some say it is straight blowback, and some say it is lever delayed blowback.
To further confuse matters, some say it was a "basic" LMG to replace the Bren, whilst others say it was a "basic" assault rifle easily made in case the Cold War went hot.

Another link..
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/british-308-sterling-prototype/

Wiki further muddies the waters by hedging it's bets and calling it a "battle rifle/light machine gun".

The Sterling 7.62 was a battle rifle/light machine gun.....

I'd be interested to know some other info, such as the timeframe, as you mention, as well as the actual operating mechanism, weight, testing...etc.