AN.2 Flying Boat,a Hypothetical or Real Design ?

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
In L'Aeronautica Italiana 8-1927,

here is a strange flying boat,they named it as AN.2,I don't know if it was a hypothetical design
or real one ?.

Attachments

• A-1.png
    A-1.png
    779.6 KB · Views: 378
  • A-2.png
    A-2.png
    809 KB · Views: 314
  • A-3.png
    A-3.png
    820.3 KB · Views: 244
  • A-4.png
    A-4.png
    693.8 KB · Views: 195
Looks more like a 1920s variation on a Dornier Wal flying boat.

AN2 designation usually applies to a utility biplane that was built by the thousands after WW2. Antonov 2s still dust crops, haul skydivers and provide short-haul service in many former communist countries. AN2 still competes with DHC-3 (single-engine) Otter and Cessna Caravan.
AN2s are still manufactured (under license) in China and there have been a couple of attempts to upgrade them with turboprop engines.

AN2V is a production version with twin aluminum floats bolted to a standard production airframe. There is even a water-bombing (forest-fire fighting) version that can refill its water tanks while skimming along the surface of a lake. Then it mixes in alkaline fire retardant chemicals similar to capitalist-built water bombers.

This appears to be a design study for an Italian flying boat, certainly along the same lines as a Dornier Wal but I am not sure that it's a derivative. I don't see any manufacturer mentioned in the text, but then Italy has long operated with a system of independent designers who shop their designs around to various companies. I am inclined to think this is more than a theoretical and speculative project given the level of detail.

Hi,

this hypothetical concept was designed by Engineering Alberto Grandinetti as in
L'Aeronautica 11/1927.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    680.6 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom