Saunders Roe S.39A

PMN1

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
British secret Projects mentions 'the S.39A with 4 Hercules, a four cannon tueert and aretractable planing bottom along the lines of Blackburn's B.20'.

It says this project was not tendered but does anyone know if any drawings exist and what the performance was expected to be?

It is mentioned in both Saunders and Saro Aircraft since 1917, by Peter London, and From Sea to Air, by Tagg and Wheeler. Neither give any performance information but there is a side view in the first and a small 3-view in the second.

My dear PMN1,

here is a site view to SARO S.39 and S.39A,from the same source.

Attachments

• S.39.png
    S.39.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 285
  • S.39A.png
    S.39A.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 282
Thanks both, any suggestion as to why Saro didn't submit the S.39A after thinking about it in the first place?

My dear PMNI,

I suggest that,the answer is in the book; British Aircraft Specifications File.

Or to be less cryptic they did not submit it because there was no specification issued by the Air Ministry for an aircraft of this type.

The S.39, with conventional hull, had been submitted to R.14/40 which was then cancelled (it replaced R.5/39 which had also been cancelled). For the revised R.14/40 Issue II Saro submitted the S.41 but then collaborated with Shorts on the preferred submission from them, the Shetland.

Blackburn's B20, ordered to test the concept of a retractable hull, flew in March 1940 but was lost the following month. So the practicability of the hull system had not yet been proven and Saro's S.39A would have been most unlikely to have received an order.