Vintage V/STOL

RAP

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Recently obtained some Hawker Siddelley Harrier material off EBAY. In a document called Harrier Tech News dated June 1971 was this drawing and a little info. I have no idea if it was a real design.

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 373
There wasn't a date on it, was there? Say some time early in oh I don't know, maybe April??? ;)

Hi RAP,

I think I saw this drawing before in Royal Aeronautical books,but for Sopwith I don't
remember,if it was belonged to it or not ?.

I was thinking April Fools also or maybe just a prank by someone at HS. Feel free to move to another section.

With hand cranked props and the comment, that can be read in that article,
I think, too, that it was a kind a kind of joke. ;)

... not to mention that the text says best results would be obtained if the aircraft was dropped from great height.

Surprising that this came from a June, not April issue...

"operation of this remarkable machine (...) would probably best be accomplished by an experienced concert pianist"

This sentence alone ought to have been enough to identify the whole thing as a prank right away!!!

it would be rather a dig at the HOTAS controls on the likes of F-15 where a pilot needed to be par with a pianist to get the best performance . Don't know whether Bill Gunston was describing Hotas thus in the 1970s though .

Back
Top Bottom