Kid takes pics of entire Trident II D5 CB8890 manual with his phone.

sublight_

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Apparently, there are some security issues on her majesty's nuke subs....
http://cryptome.org/2015/05/william-mcneilly.pdf

And here's where he gives away his real motivation:

"The cold war is over; are we still in situation where we must invest billions upon billions into a system that puts our citizens at risk? NO! "

His motivation isn't to fix the security problems, it's to scare his countrymen into giving up nuclear weapons. How noble.

Assuming he's telling the truth, he would seem to have some valid security concerns, But since he seems a bit divorced from reality, it's hard to tell:

"If I die it wasn't suicide. I'm willing to sacrifice everything, but I would never use my own hand to take my life. If I'm killed and this report is made public, there will be a high chance of a violent revolution."

Uh-huh.

According to him he entered and progressed through the program with the intent of collecting information to later distribute. He committed himself to secrecy agreements knowing that he intended to violate them, yet does not seem to see anything wrong with that.

Why do I get the feeling that this is one of those cases where a helpful soul was giving advice, that will later turn out to have hailed from dear old Moscow Centre?

Grey Havoc said:
Why do I get the feeling that this is one of those cases where a helpful soul was giving advice, that will later turn out to have hailed from dear old Moscow Centre?

Errr, the Cold War has been over for 25 years, you realise? ::)

Kadija_Man said:

Because the only Russians who spy on the west are communist?

I'd doubt they Moscow were involved, but they must be laughing.

SNP must be privately delighted too.

Any news on which country he's in? Ecuador embassy?

I believe right at this moment they're airing his room at Her Majesty's Hotel Bellmarsh.... ;)

I too would go along with the notion he was set up to do this.

Kadija_Man said:
Grey Havoc said:

Because the Cold War is the only reason to possess nuclear weapons right? ::)

You don't have to be a spy to be useful to the Russians. There are lots of useful idiots all over the west.

For what it's worth I think he has just "gone wrong" rather than anything else. He is no Snowden and certainly not a "Gerald".

When he talked about "our citizens" being endangered, SNP loomed large in my mind too.

I did nine patrols on the WEBSTER. I was a Launcher-Tech much like this guy.

He sounds like the real deal.

If what he's saying about security is anywhere near to reality, then the UK has a lot of 'splannen' to do. As to the material condition of the boats over there -- hey! That's why you have so many swinging dick's on those things. To keep them running! A boat in dry-dock that is not a flurry of red-tags is a boat out of red-tags.

I'm torn about what should happen to this guy. Hero or lout. Don't know yet.

David

merriman said:
I'm torn about what should happen to this guy. Hero or lout. Don't know yet.

Seems to me he may have skipped some steps.

Should have:
1) Noted problems
2) Brought problems to the attention of superiors.

At that point the problems *should* have been addressed. Assumign they weren't, his next step seems to have been:

3) Collected evidence of problems
4) Published the evidence

What he *should* have done:

3) Collected the evidence of problems
4) Gone through said evidence and carefully and diligently removed all evidence of *himself* from it
5) Sent the redacted evidence to the superiors of his superiors, with a note along the lines of "Holy crap, this is going on and Officer So-and-so hasn't done diddly... if they ain't addresses within the next two weeks, copies of this will go online via a system I've already set up and which can only be stopped by me entering a code blah blah blah. Upon the successful and complete addressing of these problems I will submit myself to you for whatever discipline you see fit."
6A) If the problems are addressed... delete data, turn himself in
6B) If the problems aren't addressed... the letter from % goes to the press, along with a little bit of the evidence. If problems continue to be unaddressed, *then* start the full data dump.

*Then* he'd be a hero.

Considering how easy it is to upload things on the web, it's suspicious that nothing from the Trident Manual has been posted.

sferrin said:
Kadija_Man said:
Grey Havoc said:

Nope but the Cold War was the reason to fear "dear old Moscow Centre"... ::)

How do you know it isn't "Beijing Centre" or "Pyongyang Centre" or "Tehran Centre" or "Islamabad Centre" or "Riyadh Centre" or "Canberra Centre" or...or...or...? ::)

The question is not so much whether he intended espionage, but more how someone who has become unhinged was not pick up by the RN psychological assessments.

where's the manual :3 ?

Sometime i tried to find weight breakdown of the trident missile and its launch tubes (say weight of the missile tube and its closing cap)

I'd be with that but he obviously felt that this wasn't going to get a realistic or swift outcome (going through channels, he clearly believes it to be a systemic problem. He certainly writes like someone who feels there's a genuine and immediate threat that needs to be dealt with now. Whether he's being genuine about what he writes is less clear, he certainly isn't deliberately giving away secrets as his goal (he didn't publish the manual for one) though it isn't so silly to write this way if you were going to publish something like this, becoming a cause celebrè with the CND crowd might be his only shot at not being thrown down a hole and forgotten about. I often wonder how many Manning wannabees there are who were caught without press coverage who don't get visits and letters from fans.

Certainly disturbing if true and it would fit in with other stories about the state of British nuclear weapons over the last few decades. This comes to mind:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/7097101.stm

I think the UK should keep its nuclear weapons, for now at least. They can give them up later but the world would have to stand on its head for them to redevelop the capability. The global situation is hardly stable or definitely headed in a good direction. Having said that the British strategic forces have been politically on the outs for a very long time, they should not keep them unless they are willinv to give them the attention and resources they deserve.

Another thought occurred to me. This is how the Brits treat their nukes, I wonder what the situation is in Pakistan. I know the US gives a little help in that area but they were helping the UK as well...

Kadija_Man said:
sferrin said:
Kadija_Man said:
Grey Havoc said:

Nope but the Cold War was the reason to fear "dear old Moscow Centre"... ::)

And now Moscow is not a threat because. . .? Oh right, because Obama said the 80's called. ::)

Simple fact - he will have signed the act and that binds him to keep his mouth shut in perpetuity. He's failed to do that and therefore the full weight of the law should apply. END OF.

shedofdread said:
Simple fact - he will have signed the act and that binds him to keep his mouth shut in perpetuity. He's failed to do that and therefore the full weight of the law should apply. END OF.

Very true. Most of his complaints about security appear to be based on the assumption that he (and others) shouldn't be trusted to follow the rules. He's a frigging navy sailor attested to service and a candidate for top secret clearance working in strategic weapons not some random person, possible foreign enemy/spy/terrorist, walking down the street! That he didn't understand this to the degree needed is the major security failing here.

Also his example raises the possible need for the Royal Navy to apply some personal reliability systems for sailors in strategic weapons similar to that applied to USAF aircrew/missile-men cleared for strategic weapons release. The USAF personnel operating in small human units with very significant individual responsibility have an extra layer of personal reliability managed by other personnel. In a SSBN the larger numbers of people involved provides more inherent personnel reliability and security. But it seemed to have failed here thanks to this guy's and possibly this new generation of guys' different assumptions of individual and group responsibility.

Anyway it would appear that little harm has been done (unlike the Snowden and Manning espionages) unless of course his phone has been hacked by Moscow/Beijing/Tehran/Pyongyang Central(s).

Abraham Gubler said:
Very true. Most of his complaints about security appear to be based on the assumption that he (and others) shouldn't be trusted to follow the rules. He's a frigging navy sailor attested to service and a candidate for top secret clearance working in strategic weapons not some random person, possible foreign enemy/spy/terrorist, walking down the street! That he didn't understand this to the degree needed is the major security failing here.

Don't you think the instances he cited where a 'random person, possible foreign enemy/spy/terrorist' could easily get access to sensitive facilities are the major security failing here?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-32914688

Or maybe there's a less 'interesting' explanation - he's just an ill-informed little ****...

Oh well, there goes his chance of ever being First Sea Lord ;)

As suspected. Also worth noting:

"Mr Fallon's statement came ahead of an SNP-sponsored debate in the House of Commons on the safety of Trident nuclear weapons."

shedofdread said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-32914688

Or maybe there's a less 'interesting' explanation - he's just an ill-informed little ****...

Oh well, there goes his chance of ever being First Sea Lord ;)

Going by the performances of some of his predecessors to that position, one shouldn't be so sure about him not getting it! ;)

I think this thread is somewhat incorrectly titled. When I saw it, I thought that someone's teenage son or something like that managed to take pictures of the manual. This is not a kid, he's a fully grown man who should be held accountable for his actions. If what he describes in his treatise is true, at one point he's describing a major backup of the vessel's sewage system, someone's forgotten what a hazard disease at sea is.