Bristol Type-199 Tilt-Wing VTOL Project

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

the Bristol-199 was a tilt-wing VTOL convertiplane project of 1956,powered by four Rolls-Royce
Tyne or Proteus engines.

http://aerosociety.com/News/Insight-Blog/2267/Birds-of-Prey-the-CV22-Osprey-in-the-UK

Attachments

• Bristol Type 199 tiltwing.jpg
    Bristol Type 199 tiltwing.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 432
  • 1.png
    1.png
    293 KB · Views: 440
Significant differences between the two designs, I wonder which was the earlier?

Schneiderman said:
Significant differences between the two designs, I wonder which was the earlier?

I think the lower was earlier,that's because almost I found it in British Aeronautical book of 1956.

I would agree, but I'm surprised that you say that the drawing was published in 1956. Do you know which book that was?

Hafner says that studies had commenced based on the Vickers Viscount and that this subsequently evolved to become a military freighter; the black and white image shows some similarities to the Viscount and the colour images has rear ramp doors. The internal report on these studies was issued in 1961 after Bristol's helicopter division had merged with Westland and was the subject of a conference paper by Hafner in 1963

Sorry Sir,

I check,it was from British Aeronautical book of 1961,you are right,the upper was the earlier.

Back
Top Bottom