Tupolev Tu-160M (modernization & new production)

CxxTxx

You ate my glittery ponies?
Reaction score
The Russians appear to be saying that LO/stealth technology is not worth the time and investment--or they have given up on developing it into a "Next Generation" bomber for industrial and technical reasons....

The Russians have 11 combat capable Tu-160's at present, and they all carry CMs?

It is also a great way to increase nuke warhead counts without exceeding New START limits as bombers count as one launcher and one warhead no matter the actual number of bombs/missiles on board.

hard to believe. They're already worked on PAK-DA.

Beside some factories that produced Tu-160 parts were no longer exist or in Ukraine.

Another update on this matter.

Russia is to increase the size of its Tupolev Tu-160 'Blackjack' fleet by a factor of three over the coming years as it looks to build up its strategic bomber capabilities in the face of ever deteriorating relations with the West.

The expansion of the fleet from 16 to a proposed 50 bombers was announced by Russian Air Force Commander Colonel General Viktor Bondarev on 28 May, the Sputnik state news organisation reported.

That is not what he said. He said that in order to make "economic sense" they need to build more than 50. Supposedly KAPO wants 400 million $ a piece.

I feel Russia would be better off to start afresh. In my eyes Tu-160s could/would not defeat U.S. defenses. -SP

Steve Pace said:
I feel Russia would be better off to start afresh. In my eyes Tu-160s could/would not defeat U.S. defenses. -SP
They are doing that, with PAK-DA. Which is why restarting production of Tu-160 is extra insane.

flanker said:
They are doing that, with PAK-DA. Which is why restarting production of Tu-160 is extra insane.

One possibility is that the Tu-160 is meant to be a pure cruise missile carrier, one which uses its speed to avoid the thinly spread NORAD defenses.

Another possibility is that Tu-160s aren't meant for nuclear war against the US. Rather, they are going to be employed in strategic strikes in support of regional battles.

http://www.defencetalk.com/russia-to-launch-serial-production-of-upgraded-tu-160m2-strategic-bomber-69726/

I thought that the Tu-160m2 was to have been an interim strategic bomber until Tupolev had the required technology to develop the PAK-DA, or am I missing something? :-\

FighterJock said:
I thought that the Tu-160m2 was to have been an interim strategic bomber until Tupolev had the required technology to develop the PAK-DA, or am I missing something? :-\

So the Ruskies can put a damned big heavy bomber back into production after 7 or 8 years of building nothing. But the US can't put fighter into production after a 5 or 6 year cease in production? Interesting. Someone should tell the Russians they should stop because it's too hard.

Airplane said:
FighterJock said:

So the Ruskies can put a damned big heavy bomber back into production after 7 or 8 years of building nothing. But the US can't put fighter into production after a 5 or 6 year cease in production? Interesting. Someone should tell the Russians they should stop because it's too hard.

I don't think the argument against the F-22 re-start is that it is too hard but that once you factor in that the USAF would wan't a modernized aircraft the proposition becomes expensive.

bring_it_on said:
Airplane said:
FighterJock said:

I don't think the argument against the F-22 re-start is that it is too hard but that once you factor in that the USAF would wan't a modernized aircraft the proposition becomes expensive.

No that is the argument most of the people make: It's too hard. Supply base gone. Tooling disappeared. The people that know how to build them are retired. It'll take too long to train pilots.

Airplane said:
FighterJock said:

A lot of the factories were probably sitting idle though.

Airplane said:
No that is the argument most of the people make: It's too hard. Supply base gone. Tooling disappeared. The people that know how to build them are retired. It'll take too long to train pilots.
I've got to say all of the excuses made are tiresome. How have we ever gotten anything done before with this attitude?

Colonial-Marine said:
Airplane said:
Of got to say all of the excuses made are tiresome. How have we ever gotten anything done before with this attitude?

Not too mention the USAF is governed by civilian leaders who can simply order the USAF, "No gold plated Raptors." But oh, oops, we misplaced the tooling.

Colonial-Marine said:
Airplane said:
I've got to say all of the excuses made are tiresome. How have we ever gotten anything done before with this attitude?

Not too hard. Not too expensive. Not worth it. Tech has moved on.

Open source, new engines, new avionics, etc, etc, etc. Doesn't make any sense, whatsoever.

Build a new jet.

NeilChapman said:
Colonial-Marine said:
Airplane said:

Not too hard. Not too expensive. Not worth it. Tech has moved on.

Open source, new engines, new avionics, etc, etc, etc. Doesn't make any sense, whatsoever.

Build a new jet.

Really? Sounds like you are speaking about F-16s in which case I agree. But the last time I looked the Raptor just went into service barely over a decade ago. Also it seems to me that it still does everything it did when the last one came off the line. Its radar signature hasn't grown. It hasn't gotten slower. It hasn't lost any range. It does have better missiles than when introduced. Furthermore your old and antiquated engines could very well be powering the next gen fighter assuming for sake of argument that it ever sees light of day.

I guess if you would rather have shorter ranged, flying radar refelctors with no IR supression, with fewer AAMs hanging on 25 and 30 year old airframes that will be even much more older until a hypothetical PCA comes on line in 17 years, then, hey, go for it. You're probably going to get what you want.

The supply base that built the Tu-160 is mostly idle.

With the exception of Boeing Defense Seattle, the supply base that built the F-22 is now
fully engaged building other, high priority things.

*If* Boeing could demonstrate a way to reconstitute the rest of line in a non-disruptive
manner then I'd be all for it. But you are still looking at the early-to-mid 2020s
(based, optimistically, on the historical FRP long-lead to aircraft delivery interval)
for F-22 restart LRIP delivery if a production decision happened today.

Really the right time to restart the line was by a new administration in Jan 2013.

Flyaway said:
Russia Unveils New TU-160M2 Strategic Super Bomber Update

https://theaviationist.com/2017/11/16/russia-unveils-new-tu-160m2-strategic-super-bomber-update/

Someone needs to remind Russia that they can't put a plane back into production because:

1. No nation can possibly build 2 aircraft of the same category at the same time
2. They misplaced the tooling
3. It will take money away from the new airplane they are working on
4. It will take too long to train pilots
5. The tier II and III parts suppliers are out of business
6. It's "old" technology that is already been surpassed that only bleeding edge equipment should be built

Airplane said:
Flyaway said:
Russia Unveils New TU-160M2 Strategic Super Bomber Update

https://theaviationist.com/2017/11/16/russia-unveils-new-tu-160m2-strategic-super-bomber-update/

Someone needs to remind Russia that they can't put a plane back into production because:

1. No nation can possibly build 2 aircraft of the same category at the same time
2. They misplaced the tooling
3. It will take money away from the new airplane they are working on
4. It will take too long to train pilots
5. The tier II and III parts suppliers are out of business
6. It's "old" technology that is already been surpassed that only bleeding edge equipment should be built

Russia isn't the US.

Published on Nov 16, 2017

Russia's modernised Tupolev Tu-160M2 strategic bomber was rolled out of the Kazan Aircraft Enterprise workshop, Thursday. The original Tu-160 model is armed with cruise missiles that can carry nuclear warheads. The Tu-160 is now set to enter into Russia's strategic nuclear forces roster.

View: https://youtu.be/mwgyjxHo6BQ

This article confirms this is indeed an M2 model.

Tupolev on 16 November rolled out the first new-build Tu-160 strategic bomber from the Kazan Aviation plant, with first flight of the supersonic aircraft scheduled for February 2018.

The Tu-160 was last produced in 2007 and the latest example is a key test of Tupolev's ability to restore final assembly, as well as modernising the type with new Kuznetsov NK-32-02 engines.

Russia intends to procure 50 of the new-build M2-standard Tu-160s, with serial production to begin in 2023.

Flyaway said:
This article confirms this is indeed an M2 model.

Tupolev on 16 November rolled out the first new-build Tu-160 strategic bomber from the Kazan Aviation plant, with first flight of the supersonic aircraft scheduled for February 2018.

The Tu-160 was last produced in 2007 and the latest example is a key test of Tupolev's ability to restore final assembly, as well as modernising the type with new Kuznetsov NK-32-02 engines.

Russia intends to procure 50 of the new-build M2-standard Tu-160s, with serial production to begin in 2023.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/tupolev-rolls-out-first-new-build-tu-160-bomber-443466/

it isn't an M2 yet.

flateric said:
even not 'newly built'
this is backlog from Soviet era http://www.tupolev.ru/tu-160-new
are you saying this is an old, unfinished air-frame that they just completed?
That's not what the article implies.
IMO this is a new build platform that will act as a test-bed for final M2 configuration. The largest and fastest heavy bomber ever built , with the biggest combat radius, will go even farther with improved combat capability.
November 16, 2017 at the Kazan Aviation Plant. S.P. Gorbunova - branch of PJSC "Tupolev" - a ceremony of rolling out the Tu-160 airplane to the Flight Test Station was completed, based on the technological reserve at the plant.

The event was attended by the Commander of Long-Range Aviation Sergey Kobylash, Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade Oleg Bocharov, President of the Republic of Tatarstan Rustam Minnikhanov, President of the United Aircraft Corporation Yury Slyusar, General Director of PJSC Tupolev Alexander Konyukhov. The missile carrier was rolled out of a new hangar, built according to the reconstruction program of the plant.

The aircraft was completed, including for solving the problems of reproduction of the Tu-160 in a new guise: restoration of final assembly technology, testing of certain new technological solutions, development of new aircraft engines with improved characteristics. Departure is scheduled for February 2018.

In parallel, at PJSC "Tupolev", under the TTZ of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, work was started to create prototypes of deep-upgraded Tu-160M ​​aircraft. The first departure of the deep-upgraded Tu-160M ​​combat aircraft is planned for 2019. The program of deep modernization provides, among other things, a complete replacement of the avionics complex, which will give a significant increase in the efficiency of the use of the aviation complex for its intended purpose.

"Today's rolling out of the Tu-160 is an important stage of the program for the production of the highly-advanced missile carrier Tu-160M. Equipping modern equipment of the Kazan Aviation Plant, development of digital technologies for designing and supporting the life cycle of the machine are our priorities, "said Yury Slyusar, President of the United Aircraft Corporation.

General Director of PJSC "Tupolev" Alexander Konyukhov noted that the company will continue the program of technical re-equipment. This year, the modernization of the airfield, the construction of new hangars for the maintenance of modern equipment, completing the work on the technical re-equipment of the production of welded assemblies and units, machining, blanking and stamping production, as well as a number of other production capacities, is being completed in the next 3 years.

The resumption of the release of the Tu-160 will raise the KAZ technology to them. S.P. Gorbunova to standards in the country. The design bureau of the enterprise mastered paperless design, restored the electron-beam welding system of titanium, the enterprise is equipped with new domestic equipment.

First modernised Tu-160 makes maiden sortie

Russia's United Aircraft has flown the first remanufactured Tupolev Tu-160, with the supersonic aircraft performing a short flight from Kazan on 25 January.

Last edited by a moderator:

MOSCOW, February 10. /TASS/. Russia’s top military brass plans to arm Tupolev Tu-160 supersonic strategic bombers with Kinzhal hypersonic missiles, a source in the defense industry told TASS on Monday.

"The possibility of deploying Kinzhal missiles on Tu-160 aircraft is being considered. The work on this option is due to be completed this year," the source said.

So not only the Tu-22M3, Mig-31 but the Tu-160 will also now be a carrier which makes me wonder if this had something to do with the small kinzhal versions being developed for the Su-57 two days ago, when this source here was reported on February 10. I am drawing this suggestion only because the source reports of the kinzhal on the Su-57 and tu-160 are not that far apart while considerations for the tu-22m3 and mig-31 being carriers of the kinzhal was already stated a while back. Not confirming or denying what kinzhal version it will carry but more than likely the bigger version.

MOSCOW, February 10. /TASS/. Russia’s top military brass plans to arm Tupolev Tu-160 supersonic strategic bombers with Kinzhal hypersonic missiles, a source in the defense industry told TASS on Monday.

"The possibility of deploying Kinzhal missiles on Tu-160 aircraft is being considered. The work on this option is due to be completed this year," the source said.

So not only the Tu-22M3, Mig-31 but the Tu-160 will also now be a carrier which makes me wonder if this had something to do with the small kinzhal versions being developed for the Su-57 two days ago, when this source here was reported on February 10. I am drawing this suggestion only because the source reports of the kinzhal on the Su-57 and tu-160 are not that far apart while considerations for the tu-22m3 and mig-31 being carriers of the kinzhal was already stated a while back. Not confirming or denying what kinzhal version it will carry but more than likely the bigger version.
Actually, conventional Russian arms are small for the weapon bay of Blackjack

I seem to recall an Air International item, there were 2-3 left unfinished.