More details of their recent work, referred to above, and a new video are in their latest newsletter: http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/news_apr10.html
As much as I love Skylon and anything like it, I can see wormhole/Compression Space Transport technology arriving before any hardware gets built
Japan "baraban pre-cooler" followed recently in India with Russian assistance. Sabre is deeply cooled rocket not a scram or a ram converts to all rocket around mach5-6 then pitch up to orbit. And fact is Japan and India are way ahead of Reaction deep cooled technology.
I would let to get the learned opinions of the members about this proposal:
Since the [UK Space] Agency was formed the main interaction with Reaction Engines has related to the organising of a major international review of the SKYLON spaceplane to be held on 20th to 21st September. This review will host over 100 experts from around the world to assess the economic and technical aspects of the SKYLON concept. The outcome of this Review, supported by an evaluation from the European Space Agency will give the UK Government confidence that, should further support to project be given, it will be on the basis of a thorough assessment.
On 20th and 21st September, the UK Space Agency held a System Requirements Review on the commercial and technical capabilities of SKYLON at the International Space Innovation Centre at Harwell, England. Approximately ninety invited experts attended the event venturing from various European and global nations including the USA, Russia, India, Japan and South Korea. In the months leading up to the Review, three engineers from the European Space Agency (ESA) were seconded to REL in order to investigate our technology, methods and analysis. ESA will provide the UK Space Agency with an official report on the Workshop within in the next month.The preliminary results of the event are indicative that the majority of the attendees consider SKYLON to be a viable concept. Responses to questions on the project provided a clear and honest overview of the programme. Dr Constantinos Stavrinidis, Head of Mechanical Engineering at ESA, gave the closing address and commended the competence of REL and its SKYLON concept.REL hopes that the feasibility of the SKYLON programme is no longer in doubt and that the commercial and technical aspects of the project are well understood and recognised. Over the coming months, discussions with government, industry and private investment are due to take place and REL looks forward to further progressing SKYLON.The UK Space Agency’s press release for the event is available at http://www.ukspaceagency.bis.gov.uk/19661.aspx?pf=1Recently, one of the recurring questions has been the degree of government involvement in the SKYLON development. To date, the public contribution stands at 15% with the remaining 85% provided by private investment. REL intends SKYLON to remain as commercial a programme as possible.
Bad Behavior has blocked 7440 access attempts in the last 7 days.
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 15 queries.