80 Character Limit?

Have you tried a different browser?

The limit for a post is 20,000 characters or so I think. Something else must be going on.

Is he maybe talking about the Subject line? I've seen that 80-char limit pop up many times.

I can see no point in having more than 80 characters in a subject line. A title is supposed to give you a concise summary of what you'll find inside AND to provide key words that will help referencing it with the search engines. It's not meant to be a full sentence with bibliographical data and specs!

Skyblazer said:
I can see no point in having more than 80 characters in a subject line. A title is supposed to give you a concise summary of what you'll find inside AND to provide key words that will help referencing it with the search engines. It's not meant to be a full sentence with bibliographical data and specs!

Where I see it most often is replying to a message who's title is right near the limit. For whatever reason it pops a warning so I end up having to delete part of the subject line.

It pops up a warning because replies have the 4 characters "Re: " prepended to the title, potentially getting it over the 80-char limit.

Test paragraph:
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.