Jared Zichek, your assistance please

ACResearcher

Author/researcher/illustrator.
Reaction score
I am at NARA II in College Park doing research for future projects.

One of the things I am unable to find (nor can anyone else who works there) is the file on Douglas El Segundo Division Project 9 Tailless Bomber of 1938.

Yes, I know you have spent time and money on finding this and other items. ALL of us serious researchers have. On this trip alone I will have spent three weeks in a hotel. Not cheap. I've spent three months here on one occasion. But we researchers are generally very quick to share what we have found and where we have found it since we are all interested in furthering knowledge of aviation and its history.

You know - as does everyone else who has ever tried looking in it - that RG18 is an organizational disaster. The whole facility is, for that matter.

Will you share with me the specifics as to the row, shelf, etc. where the file on Douglas El Segundo Division Project 9 Tailless Bomber of 1938 can be found? It is the ONLY thing in RG18 in which I have the slightest interest.

I look forward to a positive and rapid response and will let others know how this has turned out.

AlanG
ag122651 at hotmail dot com

I suppose you have this (pretty basic) document already, but just in case the guys at NARA II don't even have it... This being said, I don't think it contains any pre-1940 material.

Attachments

• NARA II p13.gif
    NARA II p13.gif
    343.2 KB · Views: 207
  • NARA II p14.gif
    NARA II p14.gif
    216.7 KB · Views: 193
  • NARA II p15.gif
    NARA II p15.gif
    161.5 KB · Views: 186
  • NARA II p16.gif
    NARA II p16.gif
    131.7 KB · Views: 176
  • NARA II p17.gif
    NARA II p17.gif
    142 KB · Views: 166
  • NARA II p18.gif
    NARA II p18.gif
    145.1 KB · Views: 22
Continued...

Attachments

• NARA II p23.gif
    NARA II p23.gif
    167.3 KB · Views: 25
  • NARA II p22.gif
    NARA II p22.gif
    139.8 KB · Views: 25
  • NARA II p21.gif
    NARA II p21.gif
    161.7 KB · Views: 20
  • NARA II p20.gif
    NARA II p20.gif
    170 KB · Views: 21
  • NARA II p19.gif
    NARA II p19.gif
    146.5 KB · Views: 19
  • NARA II p24.gif
    NARA II p24.gif
    110.9 KB · Views: 23
Hi Alan,

do you mean that project;
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14709.msg147063.html#msg147063

Skylark,

No, I've never seen that document! I've never even heard anyone refer to RG 130, which as I read the first page it seems to be.

I did receive a very nice and informative reply from Jared and I'm quite appreciative.

My next step is to contact the historian at GALCIT and see if they still have report 223. I've frankly given up on NARA II. It is a bureaucratic nightmare, documents are literally rotting away in their cases while the folks upstairs spend money on..well....God knows what, and they don't even know what's IN the cases while still using an 80-year-old Army Decimal System as a "finding aid" that - at best - gives you broad categories and you will waste your time going through EVERYTHING in the HOPE of finding what you're looking for. After talking to many researchers from foreign countries and how their archives are set up, NARA II is a gravel road compared to starship. Sarah Clark (RG42) is almost adequately organized and catalogued, but I still have lists of dozens of files that apparently USED to be in it that no one has ever heard of.

Anyway, thanks so much for showing me those documents, Sky. While I don't go much beyond 1945 I know some folks who will find that very useful.

AlanG

Back
Top Bottom