Naming the next generation RN Trident subs

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Picked up an ECONOMIST mag in the Library with an imposing cover picture of some MINUTEMAN missiles arcing upwards (see the TV film the DAY AFTER) and an article about the nuclear arms build up. The ECONOMIST reckons the VANGUARD class are going to be replaced by a new TRAFALGAR class of submarine. Shum mishtake shurely.
It did get me thinking. If we only go for three boats as is suggested, what would their names be:
CHURCHILL, THATCHER and BLAIR? But seriously. W is the next letter I suppose. or do we go with B to follow the Astutes?

Huey, Dewey, Louie.

"W" was "used" for the abortive SSN20, which was basically a British counterpart to Seawolf. They skipped X, Y, and Z for lack of usable names, then on to A for Asute. I would expect the Trident Successors to be B-class boats, likely with ex-battleship names (Barham, Benbow, Bellerephon?).

I wonder if the naming of both submarine and surface ship will be merged? If so I would surmise that the replacement Vanguards would be F.

The way the naming sequence has been done since the Batch III Type 22's have been a bit screwy. The Type 23's were supposed to be the D class - their names were officially to be Duke of XXXXX, the Type 45's going back to the early nineties were to be E class; Emerald was the class name if I remember correctly, but became the Darings. Presumably the Type 26's will now become the E's.

I personally wish we would go back to naming our ships after Counties, Cities or Towns; with a hope of reviving some civilian interest in "their" ship. Or name them after people who are worthy of being remember like those awarded the VC.

Regards

I liked it how the RN also used the suffix of a name like the Ton class. Maybe they could do the same for the new SSBN? What about the Ous class? Or ‘full of’ class. They would have to be kept at a state of low oxidation (rust, valency state) but that is obvious isn’t it? (hah, hah)

Historic names could be:

HM Submarines Victorious, Illustrious, Courageous, Glorious, Furious

But certainly not:

HM Submarines Nervous, Atrocious, Covetous, Dangerous, Porous

Abraham Gubler said:
I liked it how the RN also used the suffix of a name like the Ton class. Maybe they could do the same for the new SSBN? What about the Ous class? Or ‘full of’ class. They would have to be kept at a state of low oxidation (rust, valency state) but that is obvious isn’t it? (hah, hah)

Historic names could be:

HM Submarines Victorious, Illustrious, Courageous, Glorious, Furious

But certainly not:

HM Submarines Nervous, Atrocious, Covetous, Dangerous, Porous

Slightly off topic but I been pushing 'Neptune Class' for the SSBN(X) :D With Neptune E6 SLBM??

JohnR said:
I personally wish we would go back to naming our ships after Counties, Cities or Towns; with a hope of reviving some civilian interest in "their" ship. Or name them after people who are worthy of being remember like those awarded the VC.
Supposedly the RN isn't doing geographical names any more as it doesn't have enough ships to give every region "their" ship. Of course, even if that is the case, policies can and do change in the blink of an eye.

One way round the issue would be to name the new submarines after our first nuclear submarines:

Dreadnought, Valiant and Warspite

These are good solid deterrent names

Altenatively one could re-use the R class names

Resolution Revenge and Repulse

Again, these underline the role of the submarines

B class names would be odd.

TomS said:
"W" was "used" for the abortive SSN20, which was basically a British counterpart to Seawolf. They skipped X, Y, and Z for lack of usable names, then on to A for Asute. I would expect the Trident Successors to be B-class boats, likely with ex-battleship names (Barham, Benbow, Bellerephon?).
Barham, Benbow, Blake.

Arjen said:
TomS said:
Barham, Benbow, Blake.

There is also: Britannia, Boadicea and since the Indians changed the name of the city Bombay. The first would mean they wouldn't have to build a new yacht, the second would be PC and the third would represent the Anglo-Asian minority. There is also Black Prince but in this day and age Ginger Prince might be more appropriate.