Airliner from 2001: A space Odyssey

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
This link give you the frontpage from the new York times, Frank Poole was reading in Discovery.

The Front news talks of missing airliner with 2304 people on board !
the craft label HEP/COMM 11-Z4 got twelve engine and take 2500 passengers and crew of 199
it make 2400 mph in 70000 feet.

https://www.facebook.com/2001Italia/...200903/?type=1

i have question.
The article mention 2500 passenger seat on airliner,
were there any proposals for a Airliner to carry so may people ?

What i know the max are the Boeing and McDD planed there "Super Jumbo" up to 1200 passenger.
similar numbers for Lockheed/Krupps Galaxy and An-255 version as airliner.

Sorry, to me that link only gives this :

("link isn't working or was removed")

Attachments

• link.png
    link.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 497
Thank you !

Totally unprobable science fiction, I think ! Not the pax capacity, or the speed,
all this could be realised, if there would be a market for ....
But the ratio between pax and crew of less than 12 (!) shows that it's just a
pipe dream. Nowadays the ratio of 20 is quite a good one, I think and with high
density seating it reaches 40 ...
Or maybe robots have taken over the task of the cabin staff ? ;D

Jemiba said:
Thank you !

Or maybe robots have taken over the task of the cabin staff ? ;D

like this one ?

Back to topic:
it look more like a overestimation what future airline can do in 2001
but as movie was made the 747 not yet fly, but build
the 2001 movie advisory could consider that jump of 110 passenger (707) to 480 (747) progress in future to even bigger airliner with 2500 passenger ?

There's a short story called "The Great Three Month Super Supersonic Stack-up of 1999" that dealt with air transport vehicles approaching the size of starships. Everybody decided to go to Jackson Hole for a long weekend and it created this massive air traffic control back-up. The story was rather silly with side references to events like a man and a woman each got lost on one of these things, met, then got together and had a baby before they found an exit. Eventually, the back-up was dealt with "Seek-out And Sticks" that made the airliners someone else's problem.

I read it in Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories to Stay Awake By, but a web search of that book shows it was published in 1971. I've not found any information on line about that story, but there is a chance that it had been written a few years earlier and may have influenced that little bit of the movie.

I'll have to dig to see if I still have my copy of that book.

I don't know anything about this 2001 Space Odyssey mockup, but if there are pictures from inside, please post.

Attachments

• 2001_Space_Airlier_Mockup.jpg
    2001_Space_Airlier_Mockup.jpg
    778.9 KB · Views: 313
That 2001 airliner mock-up is a photoshop. You can see more like it at the Sci-Fi Airshow. http://www.scifiairshow.com/

Be sure to check out the Eagle boneyard.

I wonder whether the mention of an air disaster with over 2300 victims might have been motivated by Kubrick's documented fear/aversion of flying, especially since it purportedly occurred en route between his two places of residence of New York and London...

Martin

Back
Top Bottom