NASM website on Ho-229 conservation

AeroFranz

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The conservation crew working on the -229 has started an "unofficial" website documenting their work. This promises to be good.
Moderators, please feel free to move this to a more appropriate section - i wasn't sure where a restoration topic should go.

http://www.hortenconservation.com/

Interesting site indeed ! I especially appreciate the very politic way, the question
about "stealth" is dealt with.

Indeed. It will be interesting to see how much they decide to preserve versus restore. At the very least the finished product will be a fully assembled and presentable aircraft, which is going to take a LOT of work given the present condition of the airframe.
The good news about the NASM undertaking this work is that already a massive amount of information is coming out on the aircraft itself.
Regarding the stealth bit, yeah, they're being very diplomatic :)
My .02 is that it makes for a nice-to-believe story but i regard it as unlikely.

In other news, work has been progressing on the He-219. The wing has been painted and i think there are no more major restoration tasks left to do other than re-assembling the aircraft (actually they need to fabricate antennas, which were somehow lost during storage), which is likely to take a while.

Do you know, is it possible to see much of the restoration work on the Horton from the observers' gallery? Last time I was at Udvar Hazy, there really wasn't anything visible.

I believe so. Save for painting booth and other small enclosed areas, the whole restoration bay is visible from the outside (albeit from a distance, it is a huge space).