Famous Russian Aircraft Series - New Su 24 Book

Krishna_j

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
With the closure of Midland Counties/Ian Allan aircraft pub - it appeared that the excellent Famous Russian aircraft series would be badly missed

Happy to state that Crecy has announced a new tome - 320+ pp - on the Sukhoi Su-24 Fencer by the Gordon team - release around June 2015

Hope the long awaited Mig 23/27 series will also be released

Re: Famous Russian Aircraft Series

Gorgeous cover

Attachments

• su24.jpg
    su24.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 401
Re: Famous Russian Aircraft Series

well worth the wait with superb technical details and pictures of all the operators and much bigger and broader than the earlier Aerofax series by the same author.

its been done in the usual lavish and glossy format of the Russian Aircraft series but considerably smaller in Size around 330 Pp than the others as the combat accounts except for the Chechen strikes are very few and sketchy.

The book again scores with excellent details on the design considerations , technical details , variant details on the SU -24 MR . MP ECM , unflown BM/BM2 etc and mid-life upgrades, weapons , peace time ops , superb colour profiles and details of all the overseas operators like Azerbaijan , Uzbekistan , Algeria , Syria etc and serves as an excellent collector's item on this enigmatic cold war warrior.

The bonus for me is the first photo on Sudan's Su-24 and superb artwork (recently AFM June 2015 published some in Saudi Arabia deployment) and an unheard snippet on India being a potential operator having placed orders in mid 80's for the SU 24 MK as a replacement for the Canberra and possible a nuclear strike role but cancelled the same in 1990 (?)

What the book lacks in comparison with other books in the series is a chapter on comparison with its contemporaries - The F-111 , Tornado etc which would have embellished the book - the earlier Aerofax series had a few Pp covering this.

Also the author states that all 24 nos of the Su-24 supplied to Iraq were ferried w/o any loss to Iran during the Gulf war and a surviving 25th example was captured by coalition troops and ferried back to US for inspection during the second war - i have not seen any photos or mention of this example so perhaps this is apocryphal. Otherwise a good add to the collection - waiting next for the Mig 23/27 tome .

Of interest to this forum are details of the Su -24 BM/BM2 (twin fins) - some pics and details had appeared in Gordon's Unflown Wings tome - there are a few additional details but no new pics.

According to Amazon (U.S.), the next two volumes in the series will be the Ilyushin Il-28 in November and the Mikoyan MiG-17 next May.

gatoraptor said:
According to Amazon (U.S.), the next two volumes in the series will be the Ilyushin Il-28 in November and the Mikoyan MiG-17 next May.

The MiG-17 book will be of interest, as for the Il-28 book I have already got it marked down as a birthday present. :)

I'm surprised that their hasn't been a book done in this series on the MiG-23/27 series yet.

GTX said:
I'm surprised that their hasn't been a book done in this series on the MiG-23/27 series yet.

GTX - absolutely echo that - Hope YEFIM and His team are lurking somewhere :)