Edmund Schneider sailplanes

Aeronaut1930

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I am trying to research gliders built by Edmund Schneider at Grunau (now Jezow Sudecki, Poland). Two of his aircraft have eluded my searching - a powered aircraft (FS101) he built for the 1932 Dela Exhibition in Berlin and a sailplane (very similar to the Grunau Baby 1) registered as D-Senator. This glider was flown and crashed at the 1932 Wasserkuppe Competition. I have never found a photograph or drawing of this one.

"In the year 1932 Schneider also designed a glider named Senator, with a wingspan of 13.4 metres, which was very similar to the Baby. It was mentioned besides the six Babies in the 13th Rhön Competition. Tragically, an unaccountable dive, possibly caused by the pilot becoming unwell, ended fatally for both pilot and aircraft. The wing construction proved too weak to endure the ensuing strain, the 'Senator' suffered wing-failure, and pilot Herbert Rhò diger from Liegnitsch lost his life." http://www.grunaubaby.nl/OriginHi.htm

"Each individual sailplane coming from the Edmund Schneider, Grunau works was given an ESG number according to the year in which it was built. Every aircraft emerging during the year 1929 was an ESG 29 and so on ... They usually acquired individual names from owners, sponsors or advertisers, such as Donnerstag-Klub, Burkbraum, Senator, ..."

Sailplanes 1920-1945 (Volume 1) by Martin Simons, Eqip Verlag, 2001

Thanks Apophenia. I have seen both of those references. Unfortunately neither included a picture of the glider and the wingspan was also as noted in the Meldelist for the 1932 Rhoen competition. I believe the actual span was a little shorter than that.

Aeronaut1930 said:
I am trying to research gliders built by Edmund Schneider at Grunau (now Jezow Sudecki, Poland). Two of his aircraft have eluded my searching - a powered aircraft (FS101) he built for the 1932 Dela Exhibition in Berlin and a sailplane (very similar to the Grunau Baby 1) registered as D-Senator. This glider was flown and crashed at the 1932 Wasserkuppe Competition. I have never found a photograph or drawing of this one.

Sorry , I can't find any picture of the Senator .

About the Schneider FS 101 , I believed too this was an Edmund Schneider design , until my last visit at the Deutsche Museum Bibliothek Archiv : In fact , it's a FRANZ Schneider's proposal for a "Volksflugzeug" (DELA 1932) , but … I don't know anything more about this Franz Schneider ...

Attachments

• Numériser.jpeg
    Numériser.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 333
Great find my dear Richard,

welcome your return.

Many thanks, Richard. That was the only picture I had seen of this one too. Now I can remove it from my list for Edmund Schneider. The next problem is working out why his ESM5 was so named - presumed that the "5" meant his fifth powered aircraft. Even with the FS101 in the list I was one short.
I suspect the "Senator" shall remain an obscurity, except for the few details already known.

I have found an info about Franz Schneider : he patented with Hans Müller on the 16/1/1934 a device something like an ejector seat for aircraft with pusher prop ...

richard said:
I have found an info about Franz Schneider : he patented with Hans Müller on the 16/1/1934 a device something like an ejector seat for aircraft with pusher prop ...

My dear Richard,

can we see it,and thanks.

hesham said:
richard said:

My dear Richard,

can we see it,and thanks.

YES , YOU CAN :)

Attachments

• Numériser 25.jpeg
    Numériser 25.jpeg
    472.6 KB · Views: 300
Wow,fantastic,many thanks to you my dear Richard.

I have another challenge for you. In 1929 I believe that Edmund Schneider built a glider for the Liegnitz Club. It was Christened "Wabi" and flew for at least a couple of years. It was on a mail flight from Hampelbaude to Krummhuebel on 26 July 1931. That is all of the information I can find on this one. Anything more would be great!

Hi All

I've just joined this group and I know this is an old thread but I am a friend of Harry Schneider. Harry is Edmund's son and took over the designing and building of gliders after they moved to Australia. Happy to take any questions or pictures to Harry for comment.

-Cath

Welcome aboard Cath,

please I hope to see all of his activities,and thanks.

Welcome Cath. I too had sought the answers from Harry, but he was unable to help.

Very sad, I was already glad to fill the gaps in the list of Schneider gliders or to get to know projects. :'(

It has already been a long hard slog. I know there are drawings in Poland, but extracting the information is proving difficult. However I shall press on with this quest.