Whitehall nightmare from 1963

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
I had always thought this was one of Harold Wilson's ideas but un fact it belonged like TSR2 and co to the delusions of grandeur of the Macmillan Government in 1963.

http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9781409423874

Adam Scharr from Newcastle has covered it in a book but I think he would not mind us looking at it here. It was planned to replace the Foreign Office and Treasury/Home Office Buildings in Whitehall with an East Anglia University style brutalist Ziggurat. I attach pics and a plan from the ref in case it vanishes.

I would buy the book but it does not cover a slightly later plan featured in one of the Sunday Newspaper Colour Magazines to build an even bigger Ziggurat in Windsor Great Park to house Parliament and Whitehall. I am still looking for this one if anyone has some old sups at home.

Fortunately Harold W got us out of this one rather like Vietnam. Had it been built it would have been an ideal place for the vaunted 1970s Coup D'Etat looking as it does also like the Olympic Village in Munich.

Attachments

• 1963 Whitehall Plan.JPG
    1963 Whitehall Plan.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 308
  • Whitehall 1963 model.JPG
    Whitehall 1963 model.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 303
  • Whitehall close up.JPG
    Whitehall close up.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 298
Interesting post. I have read about this proposal in the past, but have never seen any images. A very lucky escape.

I'm pretty sure there was a BBC (4?) documentary on unbuilt architecture that featured this. Not sure if the footage is available anywhere but maybe..?

Back
Top Bottom