German Type-IIIA Uboot (1930s unmade project)

covert_shores

Research + illustration
Reaction score
Website
www.hisutton.com
My interest is the shelter but that's coz I'm weird like that.
uboot_Tp-IIIA_2200.jpg

Based on plans I found on the internet. Not sure how final the design was when cancelled. Seems odd that you cannot walk along the hull from front to back, I would have added a narrow footpath alongside the hangar. Blurb http://www.hisutton.com/First%20DDS%20-%20Type-IIIA%20U-Boat.html

I don't have the book at hand in the moment, but IIRC, the drawing in Erich Groener "Die deutschen Kriegsschiffe
1815 - 1945" makes it less obvious, that there wasn't a footpath, or that there couldn't have been one. The project
was cancelled quite early, as it became obvious, that launching the attack craft would have been possible only in very
calm seas.

According to Harald Fock "Marine-Kleinkampfmittel" (Koehlers Publishing Hamburg, 1996, p. 126) the Type III arose in 1934 on the basis of the U-Boot Type I A. Fock speculates that these boats should carried under water into enemy naval stations; like plans made since the 19th ctr. The plans came to nothing in 1936. In the same year the Kriegsmarine wanted a small fast boat that could be carried aboard cruisers and aux.cruisers. This small fast boat (20m long) that can be seen in the drawing seems to be the starting base for the fast boat type "LS".

Attachments

• TypIII-LS.jpg
    TypIII-LS.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 274
good profile, larger than I had. Note the lack of walking space beside the hangar. Also, I find it hard to reconcile the cross-sections with the side profile

I mainly used a different side view which included a machine-gun position in the aft of the sail

Yes, I can confirm Jemiba's remarks! :)

Source: Erich Gröner, Dieter Jung and Martin Maass - Die deutschen Kriegsschiffe 1815-1945 (Band 3), pages 70 and 71, Bernard & Graefe Verlag 1985, ISBN: 3763748024

Those seam to be two "LS" Schnellboote.

BTW, that book "Marine-Kleinkampfmittel" by Harald Fock is a gold mine for secret and unbuilt small marine projects. I have got one copy myself and really do recommend it. B)

covert_shores said:
good profile, larger than I had. Note the lack of walking space beside the hangar. Also, I find it hard to reconcile the cross-sections with the side profile

Because of the tumblehome of the hull to access fore and aft on the sides of the hangar would require fitting a level gantry deck. Which would be weighty, prone to damage from the seas and very draggy. A simpler solution to getting fore and aft would be to mount a ladder on the hangar hatch and then some railing along the top of the hangar. Up and over rather than around the side.