New naval helicopter from Mil, ca. 1979 - early 1980s

famvburg

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I recently acquired a number of Air Force Magazine issues from March of each year beginning in 1975. In March of each year AFM had their annual Soviet Aerospace Almanac. Beginning in 1979 or 1980 and referencing "US Military Posture 1979", there is mention of a "new naval helicopter from Mil" under development. After a couple of years, this mentioning disappeared. I'm wondering if anyone here thinks that there was something from Mil, such as the unbuilt Mi-24M for naval use, probably just a Hind-D type more suited for naval use being developed, or could there have been some confusion or misinformation that the "new naval helicopter" was actually the Kamov Ka-27 since this is about the timeframe it was being developed. The info was provided by Jane's. No mention of exactly what its naval use would have been.

Hi Famvburg,

as I know,in 1981 the Mil Mi-38 was developed to use in army/naval and civil duties,maybe it
was the mentioned ?.

"Development [of the Mi-14] was slowed by problems with the helicopter's avionics and due to reliability problems with the TV3-117 engines, with production at Kazan not starting until 1973, and the helicopter (now designated Mi-14) entering service on 11 May 1976"

Throw in a few years for delays in information gathering given the relatively low production rate?