Early Chinese aircraft.

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Hi!
http://cwlam2000.0catch.com/index.htm

Attachments

• Yench'u%20XP-1.JPG
    Yench'u%20XP-1.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 851
  • image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 862
  • XP-1.jpg
    XP-1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 854
  • image033.jpg
    image033.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 862
  • image036.jpg
    image036.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 848
Fresson Fr.FBI Biplane

On 20th September 1925 Ernest 'Ted' Fresson's own aircraft the Fr.FBI undertook its first flight at Tai Yuan Fu, Shansi, China.

In 1922 a Chinese War Lord had imported a dismantled Avro 504K and 'Ted' Fresson, a former WWI pilot, assembled it for $250 over a period of a fortnight. This was followed by two more years of test flying various Avro's and Curtiss aircraft in and around Hankow.

In 1924-25 Governor Yen, the Chinese Governor of Shansi Province, asked Fresson to establish an aircraft factory at Tai Yuan Fu, within the walls of the local Arsenal. This was in an area surrounded by warring local factions and was not particularly safe area to work.

Fresson began designing the Fr.FBI based on the Armstrong-Whitworth FK.8 design and ordered materials from the Aircraft Disposal Company in London. The design was drawn up in Shanghai and construction began in the spring of 1924.

The Fresson design called for two separate cockpits behind the main wings and had a revised Centre of Gravity. He was assisted in the build by a German aero engineer, and English maths expert who worked on the stress aspects and a Chinese carpenter called Loh.

Although built in the Arsenal confines, a separate airfield was built six miles north with an 800 metre runway for testing.

After several successful flights, passengers were carried. There was no further production of the type due to Civil unrest and Fresson returned to Britain to found Highland Airways in Britain.

Attached are photo's of the aircraft under construction (Clegg) and the machine prior to its first flight (Fresson).

For more on Ted Fresson see http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usbiography/f/tedfresson.html

Sources:
Rivals In The North (Peter V. Clegg) published by P Clegg 1989 ISBN: 9781872347028
Air Road To The Isles (Captain E E Fresson) published by David Rendel Ltd 1967 no ISBN (a 2008 edition has ISBN 0951895893)

Attachments

• fress0002.jpg
    fress0002.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 159
  • fress0001.jpg
    fress0001.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 173
What is the identity of the apparently unpowered aircraft illustrated in the last photograph (image036) in the first post?

avion ancien said:
What is the identity of the apparently unpowered aircraft illustrated in the last photograph (image036) in the first post?

That is Wong Tsu's XG-1 troop-transport glider. Like the three trainers designed by Wong, the XG-1's structure was created largely from bamboo mat composite boards.

AFAIK, the technique was developed by Y.-C. Fung at the Chinese Bureau of Aeronautical Research. To create this 'ply-bamboo', Sinocalamus affinis stems were split into strips, interwoven into mats, layers of bamboo mats were then soaked in resin and pressed together.

One source says that the same technique was used to make the XG-1 spars ... but I wonder if they wouldn't have used a bamboo-wood veneer composite for the spars?

Hi Apophenia,

Any more information about this 'bamboo mat composite boards'? Thank you!

Many interesting aircraft are included in this site, for example......
Are these designed in China?

Attachments

• xt-1_2.jpg
    xt-1_2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 170
  • ting_2.jpg
    ting_2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 167
  • image027.jpg
    image027.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 193
  • image026.jpg
    image026.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 187
Hi,
I know the first one. The helicopter is named Chu CJC.3. He was build in Taiwan.
Servus, Maveric

My dear Blackkite,

the last aircraft was Bejing-1,and it made its maiden flight in 1958,the two and three
are still mysteries.

Hi Blackite

From "aviastar.org helicopters"
Your helico is the "chu cjc3"
but it was not "prewar it was build in 1952
Bye"

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 205
This helicopter has been developed after the war as you expected.
A very modern design. Anyway, you offer us valuable information, thank you very much.

How I forget this company,

I know it from long time ago,the Naval Air Establishment was formed in 1918,and re-allocated
to Changai in 1931,the Chiang Hung was two/three seat recce biplane seaplane intended for
Chines Navy,also designed the Chiang Gaen,a two seat recce/military trainer biplane,all of
them were built.

Also developed Chiang Hau,Nin Hai,DH-6 looks like,Beeng,Char,Ding,Wu and Yee,here
is all details and we can conclude the two mysteries aircraft;

Aircraft produced include:
Chiang Hung (1930) - 2 or 3 seat touring plane and reconnaissance aircraft
Chiang Hau (1932) - powered with single 165 hp Wright Whirlwind engine
Chiang Gaen
Nin Hai
DH.6 like seaplane
Beeng (1918?)- tractor biplane/float fighter bomber with single 360 hp prop engine
Char1918 - 2 seat primary trainer seaplane
Ding (1934) - 2 seat bombing/torpedo seaplane using a single 360hp Rolls Royce engine
Wu (1918?) - general purpose observation aircraft
Yee (1918?) - 2 seat advance trainer and variant of Char seaplane

http://all-aero.com/index.php/69-manufacturers/manufacturers-n-z/7224-naval-air-establishment

Attachments

• Chiang Hung.jpg
    Chiang Hung.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 179
amsci99 said:
... Any more information about this 'bamboo mat composite boards'? Thank you!

amsci99: Apologies for the late response. I don't have much more detail on bamboo mat composites ...

Basic bamboo mat boards consisted on 3-4 plys of interwoven mats. Each ply was soaked in phenol formaldehyde resin and then dried. These impregnated mat plys were then assembled in piles and hot-pressed into boards. Today, for thicker boards, bamboo mats are interleaved with wood veneers. But I'm not sure if such bamboo mat/wood veneer composite boards were explored by the Chinese Bureau of Aeronautical Research.

In a 1999 Computational Mechanics article on Eric Reissner, Y.-C. Fung notes that "the most important problems for using bamboo in airplane structures are the analysis of shear lag and tension field: to line up the directions of the bamboo fibers with the lines of the critical maximum pricipal stress in tension."
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s004660050375#page-1

Of course prototypes are one thing and production another. I note that the Nanchuan factory was located in a cave with high humidity. So the augurs for bamboo mat production were not propitious!

BTW, Fung identifies Wong Tsu as 'T. Wang' -- part of the usual Pinyin/Wade-Giles/Yale transliteration challenge that faces any English-speaker who wants to delve deeper into Chinese aviation history :p

Hi Apophenia,

Thank you for your reply and it definitely wasn't late. I have since referred to some Chinese sources. Y C Fung is of course Professor Yuan-Cheng 'Bert' Fung, Professor Emeritus and Research Engineer at the University of California, San Diego. He worked with Wong Tsu (or Wang Tzu more phonetically similar to the actual pronounciation) at the Chengdu Aeronautical Research Bureau in Szechuan in the late 40's before the staff left for Taiwan in 1949. The Bureau subsequently became part of AITC, Taiwan (makers of the AT-3 and IDF fighters). Wong Tsu is of course one of the pioneers of Chinese aviation and sources put him as having been employed by Boeing in its' early years after graduating from MIT. The use of bamboo was actually pioneered on the XT-2 Trainer in 1941 due to a lack of strategic materials. Casein glue was reported to have been used for the 'ply-bamboo' instead of phenol and the idea of using bamboo came from the usage by the local populace of weaved bamboo vessels. The 'ply bamboo' was only used for skinning as well as construction of the fuel tank. The spars and other structure were made from Chinese spruce and paulownia. Wong Tsu ended his career as the Head of the Engineering Department of Cheng Kung University, Taiwan. I am not sure whether research notes/papers in relation to the XG-1 have been preserved as the Bureau was a civilian institution. General C J Chu's notes and papers on his helicopters were listed as being available in the archives of the Ministry of Defense, ROC. Of course, I gather it would not be available to foreigners and possibly on a restricted access basis to citizens notwithstanding the online search function of the archives has since been disabled for some years.

Apophenia said:
amsci99 said:
... Any more information about this 'bamboo mat composite boards'? Thank you!

amsci99: Apologies for the late response. I don't have much more detail on bamboo mat composites ...

Basic bamboo mat boards consisted on 3-4 plys of interwoven mats. Each ply was soaked in phenol formaldehyde resin and then dried. These impregnated mat plys were then assembled in piles and hot-pressed into boards. Today, for thicker boards, bamboo mats are interleaved with wood veneers. But I'm not sure if such bamboo mat/wood veneer composite boards were explored by the Chinese Bureau of Aeronautical Research.

In a 1999 Computational Mechanics article on Eric Reissner, Y.-C. Fung notes that "the most important problems for using bamboo in airplane structures are the analysis of shear lag and tension field: to line up the directions of the bamboo fibers with the lines of the critical maximum pricipal stress in tension."
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s004660050375#page-1

Of course prototypes are one thing and production another. I note that the Nanchuan factory was located in a cave with high humidity. So the augurs for bamboo mat production were not propitious!

BTW, Fung identifies Wong Tsu as 'T. Wang' -- part of the usual Pinyin/Wade-Giles/Yale transliteration challenge that faces any English-speaker who wants to delve deeper into Chinese aviation history :p

Hi,

Mr. Ferdinand Leopold Schoettler was a German and worked in China,he designed Type-I,it was tandem two-seat biplane of 1923,followed by Type-III,B3,S4 & C5 airplanes,but no details about them ?.

Attachments

• lossy-page1-632px-Schoettler(1).tif.jpg
    lossy-page1-632px-Schoettler(1).tif.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:
Namings for F.L. Schoettler designs are confusing. The Type I was also referred to as the Schoettler I, Schoettler BI, Fuetterer-Schoettler I (sometimes misspelled as the Fuettlerer-Schoettler I) for Schoettler's design assistant Ernst O. Fuetterer, and the 'Dulux Dashatou'

Some sources claim that the Schoettler I was designed for Zhang Zuolin (Chang Tso-lin), warlord of Manchuria, and built at Mukden. But most sources agree that the Schoettler I prototype was built by Buchheister & Co. at Lunghua near Shanghai.

According to Stefan Berleb's doctoral dissertation, "In 1924, an unknown but apparently very small number of Fuetterer Schoettler aircraft was built from scratch at the Longhua aerodrome. See Langsdorf, W. von (Ed.) (1927) Jahrbuch 1927-28 [Fortschritte der Luftfahrt (Number 14)], Frankfurt am Main: Bechhold Verlag, p. 209."

http://eprints.qut.edu.au/16298/1/Stefan_Berleb_Thesis.pdf

Berleb may be referring to the complete sequence of Schoettler aircraft designs rather than a small production series of Schoettler Is/BIs. The Sept 1925 Schoettler B3 (or BIII) was an evolution of the Schoettler I/BI "but had a longer fuselage (8.85 m against 8.35) and Beardmore engine (150-160 hp)."

The 1926 Schoettler B4 (?? same as Schoettler S4 ??) differed little from the B3. The Schoettler C5 was to a small run of four 22.10L Renault 12 Fe V-12-powered 'reconnaissance' aircraft according to the Airwar.ru entry. Since Schoettler seemed to be following the German WWI Idflieg designation system style, we can probably assume that the C5 was to be an observation aircraft, while his 'B' designs were recce aircraft. And since there was no Idflieg class letter 'S', the S4 designation was either a typographical error or Schoettler had decided to rebrand, abandoning the Idflieg system.

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/other1/schoettler.html

Many great thanks to you my dear Apophenia,

and there is a strange design to Mr. Huang Xiaoci as a Trainer aircraft,no more details.

Hi,

there is unknown design,the Foochow Ning Hae 2,does anyone hear about it before ?.

hesham said:
Hi,

there is unknown design,the Foochow Ning Hae 2,does anyone hear about it before ?.

"Ning Hai" was actually the name of the Chinese Navy light cruiser that carried the airplane in question. The ship's name was painted on the sides of its aircraft, hence the confusion.

Originally, the Ning Hai carried a Japanese Aichi AB-3 seaplane. But the aircraft had to be disassembled and stowed after use, because it lacked folding wings. This limited the plane's usefulness.

So Mar Te-Tsu of the Navy yard at Shanghai designed and built a replacement in the 1934-35 timeframe. The Hsin (Xin) was a twin-float, single-seater powered by the same 130-hp Gasuden Jimpu radial engine used in the AB-3. It generally resembled its predecessor except that the new airplane had folding wings.

My source is A History of Chinese Aviation: Encyclopedia of Aircraft and Aviation in China Until 1949, by Lennart Andersson (Aviation Historical Society of the Republic of China, 2008). It is an excellent book and, as far as I know, is still available from the AHS of ROC, P.O. Box 112-129, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC (fujinping@gmail.com).

Thank you Iverson,

but as you see,in Wikipedia they are two different aircraft,Hsin-1 Ning Hai 2 and
Foochow Ning Hae 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hsin-1_Ning_Hai_2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foochow_Ning_Hae_2

hesham said:
Thank you Iverson,

but as you see,in Wikipedia they are two different aircraft,Hsin-1 Ning Hai 2 and
Foochow Ning Hae 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hsin-1_Ning_Hai_2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foochow_Ning_Hae_2

I doubt that they are different. The absence of a Wikipedia entry is not especially strong evidence.

Since "Ning Hai" is the name of the parent ship, it is surely more likely that "Ning Hai 1" refers to the ship's first aircraft, the Aichi AB-3, while "Ning Hai 2" refers to the ship's second, Navy-built airplane, "Hsin", that replaced the AB-3.

This seems likely because the AB-3 was, in fact, built specifically for the small, Japanese-built "Ning Hai" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aichi_AB-3 and the book cited above).

"Foochow" is just an alternative transliteration of the name of the port now called Fuzhou. Fuzhou was the home of the Foochow Arsenal, the first and main Chinese navy yard (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foochow#Seaport and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foochow_Arsenal). So the "Foochow" in "Foochow Ning Hae 2" probably just means that the plane was built by Navy personnel from the Navy's engineering department at the Fuzhou yard.

Hi,

what about Guangzhou series,are them an aircraft or airship ?, (No. 51,53,54,56,57,58,59
& 74).

hesham said:
Hi,

what about Guangzhou series,are them an aircraft or airship ?, (No. 51,53,54,56,57,58,59
& 74).

"Guangzhou" is the city called "Canton" in English. The Aviation Department of the autonomous Canton government set up a factory that built aircraft from 1928-37. They were of various designs and in several cases were based loosely on Western designs.

Late in 1928 the factory built its first airplane, a three-seat biplane called "Chengkung" (Success), powered by a Curtiss OX-5 V-8. It spanned 9.75 m (meters), was 7.32 m long, and stood 2.67 m high. It weighed 950 kg empty and 1360 kg loaded.

In 1929 the factory built four airplanes, called Yang Ch'eng ("City of the Five Rams", i.e. Canton) 51-54. Yang Ch'eng 53 spanned 9.82 m and weighed 1089 kg loaded. It was a two-seat trainer powered by a 180-hp Hispano-Suiza V-8.

In 1930 the factory built another four aircraft, Yang Ch'eng 55-58. Yang Ch'eng 56 spanned 10.98 m, was 8.3 m long, and 3.1 m high. It weighed 793 kg empty and 1497 kg loaded. Yang Ch'eng 57 spanned 9.82 m and also weighed 1497 kg loaded. Both were powered by 200-hp Pratt and Whitney Wasp radials and carried a single rear-mounted machine gun.

By 1933, about 22 aircraft of various types had been built, including four copies of the Avro Avian called Yang Ch'eng 70-73.

In 1934, the factory built Yang Ch'eng 74-78, loose copies of the Douglas O-2MC.

In 1935, it built at least one parasol monoplane based on the O-2MC (designation not specified).

The Canton government then ordered six two-seat light bombers powered by 200-hp Wasps and resembling smaller Vought Corsairs. These weighed 725 kg empy and 1139 kg loaded.

At the same time, the government ordered a single-seat fighter powered by a 300-hp Wright Whirlwind.

The total production of Yang Ch'eng aircraft is thus thought to have totaled 60+.

1. First assembled in China, "Fusina" K.L. Zakharchenko (left) and his colleague and friend S.Kh. Day.
Chinese General Zhou. is sitting on the wheel. May 1936

2. Serial "Fusion", judging by the inscription on
fuselage assembled in Burma. Photo of the 1940s

3. Fennyao helicopter

Aviation of Our Great Neighbor 2008

Attachments

• fus 1.png
    fus 1.png
    903 KB · Views: 207
  • fus 2.png
    fus 2.png
    459.3 KB · Views: 212
  • hel china.png
    hel china.png
    662.3 KB · Views: 204
Qing Dynasty(-1911)
Fong Yu No.2---1 built(built in 1909)
Fengru No.2.png
Tangen seaplane---1 built(built in 1910, Purchased by USA,called A-1 means aircraft-one)
谭根.png

Republic of China(1911-1949)

Beijing Nanyuan Aviation Training Institute

Gunbus---1 built(copy Caudron G.III in 1913)
枪车.png
Vickers FB.27 Vimy---10 modified(Civil→bomber, at least modified 10)

Fujian Mawei Naval Shipping Bureau
Mawei type-Jia 1 seaplane---1 built(built in Feb 1918, Seaplane designed and made in China)
甲1.png
Mawei type-Jia 2 seaplane---1 built(Seaplane designed and made in China, same with Jia 1)
Mawei type-Jia 3 seaplane---1 built(built in Aug 1921,same with Jia 1)
Mawei type-Yi 1 seaplane---1 built(built in Jan 1922)
乙.png
Mawei type-Bing 1 sea- bomber---1 built(built in 1924)
丙1.png
Mawei type-Bing 2 sea-bomber ---1 built(built in 1925)
Mawei type-Ding 1 “Seahawk I&II” sea-attacker---2 built
丁1.png
Mawei type-Ding 2 “Sea Eagle” sea-attacker---1 built
Mawei type-Wu 1/2/3 sea-reconnaissance---4built(I'm lazy, So put them together)
Wu 1/2/3
type-Ji sea-trainer---2 built
己1/2.png
Mawei type-Hsin 1 "Ninghai No.2"---1 built(copy Japan Aichi AB-3, equip in Chinese navy ship)
Ninghai No.2.jpg
River Crane---1 built(Nov 1934)
Fleet 10---14 built(1935-1936)

Guangdong aircraft repair factory
Rosamonde No.1---1 built(built in Jun 1923, cope Curtiss Jenny)
乐士文.png

Shanghai Hongqiao aviation factory
Caudron G.II/G.III---1 built(copy in Feb 1929)
Avro 504K---1 built(copy)
Boeing 218/XP-925---1 assembled

Jiangnan manufacturing Bureau
Shanghai Type Geng 1/2 sea-reconnaissance---2 built
上海1.png
River Owl---4 built(copy British DH.60G)
Owl.png

made by Personal and some Warlords
River Bird---1 built(copy British Avro 594 Avian IV)
River Bird.png
Baqiao---1 built(copy USA O-2MC)
Baqiao.png

Suzhou---1 built
Suzhou.png
Handley Page O/400---6 modified(bomber→Civil→bomber)
Curtiss N2C-1 Fledgling---1 modified(Install machine gun)
Focke-Wulf FW 44D---1 built(Tianjin University copy 1 in 1930s)

CAMCO
Dauglas O-2MC series---60 built
Hawk III---39 built(known:Curtiss Model 68C Hawk III)
Ryan ST series---20 assembled(known:Ryan STM2E and STM-2P)
Fleet series---40 built(known:Fleet 10 A/B)
Ballanca 28-90B Flash---20 assembled & modified(equipped with machine gun and bomb rack)
Curtiss A-12 Shrike---20 assembled
Northrop Light Bomber---25 built(known:Gamma 2EC)
Vultee V-11G---29 built
Vultee V-12C---25 built
Vultee V-12D---3 built(Vultee order 52 aircraft, but CAMCO just build 3 aircraft, after transfer to India)
Curtiss H75M---30 assembled/built? (Chinese produced H75M max speed less 20km/h for engine assemble problems compare with made by Curtiss, but it was fixed by engineer at least one month later )
Curtiss H75 A-5---? assembled(CAMCO order assemble 50 aircraft and equip it,but dont know how many has been assembled in CAMCO, after transfer to Hindustan)
Curtiss P-40---99 assembled(known:H-81A2/3)
CW-21---1 modified & 2 built (China had 6 CW-21 aircraft in total)
Beach craft---4 assembled(Beach M-18R and weapons)

Guangzhou/Kunming 1st Aircraft Manufacturer
Yang Ch'eng(羊城號) series---60 built(Aircraft designed and made in China,various appearances,think of the aircraft made by the three Baltic countries,various appearances.)
AP-1 Fu-shing---5 built(Trainer designed and made in China, built before Aug 1937)
AP-1 Type-Jia Fu-shing---22 built(Reconnaissance/Attacker designed and made in China)
AP-2 Type-Bing Fu-shing---4 built(made by birch laminate)
AP-1 Fu-Shing---1 modified(change engine, 220 hp R-675)
Chung 28B Fighter---30 built(look like I-152)
XP-0---9 built(Fighter designed and made in China)
XP-1---2 built(Aircraft designed and made in China)
Hawk III---44 built(known:Curtiss Model 68C Hawk III)
AT-6 Texan---6 built(AT-6 copy)
Hummingbird A helicopter---1 built(Helicopter designed and made in China)
Hummingbird B helicopter--- 2 built(Helicopter designed and made in China)
A6M2B Zero---1 repair(fish scale heat dissipation envelope and wheels come from Hawk III, There are more modifications in this zero:wing,american radio,blade,fuel box and more. finally it transfer to USA.)
fish scale.png

Nanchang 2nd Aircraft Manufacturer(China has established a Sino Italian aircraft manufacturing plant to produce Italian made aircraft.)
SM.81B Bomber---1 assembled & 2 built(China has established a Sino Italian aircraft manufacturing plant to produce Italian made fighters,Italy agree of 6 aircraft built,but only 3 aircraft made.)
SM.79B Bomber---?modified(became transport)
Breda 25---20?built(In production, not finished)
Fiat Cr.32---24 modified (equipped with 7.7mm vickers machine gun and simplified engine hood and fins)
Chung 28A Fighter---3 built(built in 1938, look like I-16-17,but equipped with .50 machine gun & Madson cannon)
Chung 28A Trainer---30 built(built in 1943, look like I-16 UTI, .50 machine gun or Madson cannon in the wing)
Chung Yun 1(中運 1) Transport---1 built(Transport designed and made in China, refer to Airspeed AS.6 Envoy)
Chung Yun 2(中運 2) Transport---1 built(Transport designed and made in China)
H-17 Glider---30 built
unkonwn Glider---6 built(Czech glider copy)

Chengdu 3rd Aircraft Manufacturer
Fleet series---15 built
XT-1---15 built(Trainer designed and made in China, Aeronautical Research Institute developed, 3rd manufacturer produce.)
XB-3---2 built & 3 half built(Bomber designed and made in China, look like SB-2 M103)
Ta Kung Pao(大公報號) Glider---35 built(Glider designed and made in China)
A29 Hudson---10 modified(became transport)
He 111 A-0---1 modified(became civil aircraft)
CJ-1---104 built(PT-17 copy)

Aeronautical Research Institute
XT-1---1 built(Trainer designed and made in China, refer to Fleet 10B)
XT-2---1 built(Trainer designed and made in China)
XT-3---1 built(Trainer designed and made in China)
XG-1---1 built(Glider and Transport designed and made in China)

something interesting,CAMCO is a China Curtiss joint venture factory. China was planned production of 100 I-16 copy and 70 CW-21 copy.

Northeast warlords of China
F1 fighter + FH1 light bomber + H1 bomber---10 built total(1920-30s Biplane,F1 is maybe copy Alvatros Al84,FH1 copy Ansaldo A.300-4,not sure. )
Fokker C.VE---30 built(Authorized by Fokker, Fokker order 30 aircraft)
Fokker D.XVI---30 built(same with Fokker C.VE, order to build 30 aircraft)

Canton warlords
Vought O2U-4(V-65C)---? assembled(at least 30)

KwangSi warlords
unkonwn aircraft---5 built (copy of British Avro 631 Cadet, but bombed by the Japanese airforce in 1939)
Guangxi No.3---1 built(refer to Boeing p-12)
Armstrong-Whitworth Atlas II---3 modified(Redesigned fuselage, tail and change 535 hp engine)
Fairey Fox III---1 modified(3 seat ACT modified to be fighter)

PLA
Type 81 Glider---3 built, 7 half built
type81.png
When I thought of it. I'll add.

Last edited:
I dont want to insert picture in this form and web page is not good looking. Since CAMCO then, there has been 1930s-1940s, so I dont insert picture after CAMCO. How do you think?

I dont want to insert picture in this form and web page is not good looking. Since CAMCO then, there has been 1930s-1940s, so I dont insert picture after CAMCO. How do you think?

I think the pictures and drawings are a good additions to the post,you can send anything belong to this topic.

...we don't know Chinese language,so translate the four aircraft...

The four you are asking about hesham transliterate as:

羊城號 = Yangcheng series of trainers
-- https://daydaynews.cc/en/history/83430.html

中運 1 = Chungkuo 1 (China 1) transport aircraft, aka 'Loyalty 1'
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/chinese-transport-aircraft.7549/#post-65707

中運 2 Chungkuo 2 (China 2) transport aircraft, aka 'Loyalty 2'
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/chinese-transport-aircraft.7549/#post-65707

大公報號 Glider = Ta Kung Pao No.(?) 'advanced cabin glider'
-- I assume that these gliders were in some sponsored by the newspaper of the same name?

Challenges here also include 'romanizations' - contemporary Western sources would have used the Wade-Giles system - and random translations - like 'Sea Eagle' ('Hǎi yīng?).

Dear bunnystar211, thank you a lot for your digest.

On the first photo there is Fong Yue-1, not two. Fong You (Feng Ru) has built two similar aircraft, No 1 and 2. The first one burned in hangar in 1910. Both were built in the USA, so I doubt they are "chinese aircraft". The No 2 airplane Fong Yue returned to China in February, 1911. 25 August, 1912, Fong Yue crashed during demonstration flight on this airplane and died.

I'm really doubt about year of Tangen seaplane, it looks too modern for 1910. Could you, please, give me the source

Is there any standard transcription rules for Chinese language, like Polivanov's rules for Japanese? The transcription of names in different sources differs drastically. FengRu = Fong Yu, Jia = Char (!), Yi seaplane = Yee seaplane, Chenggong = Chengkung, Geng = Keng and so on.

Sometimes it's difficult to recognize which aircraft is written about.

"River Crane" it seems the same as Fuzhou Chi-1 "Chiang Hung", but according to the article "Aircraft construction in the Сhinese Navy" (Flight, 1934, No. 10, pp. 211-214) it was built in 1930, not 1926. Is "1926" the correct date?

Last edited:
Dear bunnystar211,

According to the book Andersson L. A History of Chinese Aviation. 2008 four copies of Avro 616 (similar to Avro 594) were built before 05.1933 in Shiukwan, they got names Yang Ch'eng 70 - 73,

I never heard about D.H.60G in China. Isn't it a mistake, and could you tell, when it was happen?
Thank you in advance.

It seems, only the second AB-3 (Ninghai, Hsin-1) was built in China in 1934. The first one was just bought from Japan. Or am I mistaken?

Dauglas O-2MC series---60 built - isn't it a misprint? Other sources speaks only about 6 Douglas airplanes, five of them weared numbers Yang-Ch'eng 74 - 78 and were delivered by Shiukwan 03-07.1934