China CX-1 supersonic cruise missile

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Published on Nov 25, 2014

At AirShow China 2014 in Zhuhai, China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation unveils the new CX-1 supersonic cruise missile which can be used against naval and land targets. A cruise missile is a guided missile, the major portion of whose flight path to its target is conducted at approximately constant velocity. The supersonic missile travel faster than the speed of sound, usually using ramjet engines.

http://youtu.be/Csxn3Rw8waw

They really have no shame when it comes to "copying" others. I say "copying" because outright theft is more likely.

0e32678a22f0.jpg

Attachments

• su-bin-u-s-district-court-complaint-june-27-2014.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
Visual comparison of CX-1 to Brahmos by Dimmi

sferrin said:
They really have no shame when it comes to "copying" others. I say "copying" because outright theft is more likely.

Hah. If you take a step back on this one though you realize it's a bloody weapon, and whoever ends up needing to use that bloody weapon probably cares a lot more for how well it works than who gets credit for making it :p

latenlazy said:
sferrin said:

Hah. If you take a step back on this one though you realize it's a bloody weapon, and whoever ends up needing to use that bloody weapon probably cares a lot more for how well it works than who gets credit for making it :p

Which changes nothing of course.

sferrin said:

They're on the fast track to becoming a military and economic superpower whatever the cost to themselves or others.

sferrin said:
They really have no shame when it comes to "copying" others.
As they should be. This comment reminds me of a teenage british nationalist who trash talk American stealth fighters because they don't "honorably" enter dogfight, instead exploiting sneak attacks from afar.

Theres no room for pride here when it comes to how to win war. Every countries out there wants a piece of free pie if they can steal it. Our allies do that to us all the time, from Israel to Australia. China just happen to be better at it.

donnage99 said:
sferrin said:
They really have no shame when it comes to "copying" others.
As they should be. This comment reminds me of a teenage british nationalist who trash talk American stealth fighters because they don't "honorably" enter dogfight, instead exploiting sneak attacks from afar.

Theres no room for pride here when it comes to how to win war. Every countries out there wants a piece of free pie if they can steal it. Our allies do that to us all the time, from Israel to Australia. China just happen to be better at it.

Tell me, how successful are people who copy their way through school?

Triton said:
sferrin said:

They're on the fast track to becoming a military and economic superpower whatever the cost to themselves or others.

Before we get too carried away on what a powerful force they are....

It Took 12 Trucks to Haul Away All the Cash This Corrupt Chinese General Hid in His Home. The cash was neatly stacked in boxes, each with the name of the soldier who had paid the bribe in exchange for promotion up the chain of command.

The best weapons in the world are nothing in the hands of idiots that don't know what to do with them.....

sferrin said:

Exactly, and this corruption is not limited just to stealing from the west, their entire system is corrupt from the bottom all the way to the top- both business and government. How many weapons from a corrupt manufacturer are going to work as advertised?

sferrin said:

In weaponry, everybody copies everybody. The US has copied other nation's ideas when it suits it, so don't act holier than thou where the Chinese are concerned. The US plundered German technology at the end of WWII and Soviet technology at the end of the Cold War...

Hot Breath said:
sferrin said:
The US has copied other nation's ideas when it suits it, so don't act holier than thou where the Chinese are concerned. The US plundered German technology at the end of WWII and Soviet technology at the end of the Cold War...
The United states is deep into the double digits of trillions of dollars spent on warfare related technology that has found uses in medicine, transportation, manufacturing, communication, and god knows what else. Did the Chinese invent the internet you are surfing on right now? Nobody else is even close and wont be close for centuries, if ever. The only way countries like China have been able to keep up is THE OUTRIGHT THEFT OF WESTERN TECHNOLOGY. That is not an opinion, it is an established fact.

sferrin said:
By the time they have any need to be innovative to try to exceed the US, it's a whole new generation of engineers already.

sublight is back said:
Hot Breath said:
sferrin said:
The US has copied other nation's ideas when it suits it, so don't act holier than thou where the Chinese are concerned. The US plundered German technology at the end of WWII and Soviet technology at the end of the Cold War...
The United states is deep into the double digits of trillions of dollars spent on warfare related technology that has found uses in medicine, transportation, manufacturing, communication, and god knows what else. Did the Chinese invent the internet you are surfing on right now? Nobody else is even close and wont be close for centuries, if ever. The only way countries like China have been able to keep up is THE OUTRIGHT THEFT OF WESTERN TECHNOLOGY. That is not an opinion, it is an established fact.

Hot Breath by that rationale we all stole from Da Vinci ;D

Attachments

• 108523-004-1BEF1665.jpg
    108523-004-1BEF1665.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 299
  • thLU1FG5AL.jpg
    thLU1FG5AL.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 300
sublight is back said:
Hot Breath said:
sferrin said:

So, did Japan "steal Western technology" when it modernised during the Meiji Restoration?

I'm interested in this idea that technology can be owned once it is in the public domain. Most engineers build on the discoveries of others in order to achieve the objective they are seeking. Are they stealing?

Intellectual property is an interesting idea and one that is usually most vehemently defended by those who aren't violating it. When they are and nearly every body does, they're attacking it as "limiting technology flow" or development.

Personally, I think the "open source" movement has the right idea. Better to see your ideas used and at least acknowledged rather than try and limit them to only those you approve of.

sublight is back said:
Triton said:
sferrin said:

Before we get too carried away on what a powerful force they are....

It Took 12 Trucks to Haul Away All the Cash This Corrupt Chinese General Hid in His Home. The cash was neatly stacked in boxes, each with the name of the soldier who had paid the bribe in exchange for promotion up the chain of command.

The best weapons in the world are nothing in the hands of idiots that don't know what to do with them.....

....like...US Congress? Burrrnnn.

I kid. China definitely has a bigger governance problem than the US. Whether that (or copying) has any bearing on their technological progress...let's just look to the US during the late 1800s, filled with corruption and IP theft from other countries, while at the cusp of dominating the global economy.

Heck, everyone copied the Germans on rockets and the gas turbine. I think they all turned out alright.

sublight is back said:

A quite strange statement especially in mind of the fact the right now the USA are the biggest user of "online-information gathering" ! Upppss not that this is related to espionage, but purely for security reasons ... but if there is some additional gain by pure chance, the NSA surely ignores this piece of information.

Don't get me wrong I do not deny that Chinese companies or agencies do espionage but to tell each and every progress made in China ONLY due to espionage and in the same way to deny that others do that too is plain naïve ...

Deino

Deino said:
Don't get me wrong I don not deny that Chinese companies or agencies do espionage but to tell each and every progress made in China ONLY due to espionage and in the same way to deny that others to that too is plain naïve ...

Deino

I am curious which Chinese weapon system the US has copied and put into production.

sferrin said:
I am curious which Chinese weapon system the US has copied and put into production.

Indeed interesting, if there is something that could be misunderstood, then there's for sure someone who will misunderstand it !

I never said they copied anything from China, but my point is that cyber-attacks to other European companies and so "could" unveil some secrets for the US industry ... I don't know any by name but I think it is undeniable that the US are quite active in this regard.

Deino

http://dimmi-tomsk.livejournal.com/276489.html

sferrin said:
Deino said:
Don't get me wrong I don not deny that Chinese companies or agencies do espionage but to tell each and every progress made in China ONLY due to espionage and in the same way to deny that others to that too is plain naïve ...

Deino

Certainly not China, but the US did copy the Germans ;D

latenlazy said:
sferrin said:
Deino said:

Deino

Yeah, that might have been relevant in 1946.

sferrin said:
latenlazy said:
sferrin said:
Deino said:

Deino

Time goes on. In 2046 it may not be relevant that China copied the Brahmos in 2014. History tells us not to draw deterministic conclusions from Country A copying from Country B.

sferrin said:
latenlazy said:

Really not 2014 !?? ... and not only Germany, Brazil, France ... and all over the world. But surely only so that we can feel safer ! ;)

http://www.bbc.com/news/25907502
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/09/nsa-spying-brazil-oil-petrobras
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/10/nsa-busted-conducting-industrial-espionage-in-france-mexico-brazil-and-other-countries.html

Again I do not want to deny the espionage of China and surely others too ... but I'm sure the USA are actively "rowing the same boat".

Deino

Deino said:
sublight is back said:

A quite strange statement especially in mind of the fact the right now the USA are the biggest user of "online-information gathering" ! Upppss not that this is related to espionage, but purely for security reasons ... but if there is some additional gain by pure chance, the NSA surely ignores this piece of information.

Don't get me wrong I do not deny that Chinese companies or agencies do espionage but to tell each and every progress made in China ONLY due to espionage and in the same way to deny that others do that too is plain naive ...

Deino

If they don't like the NSA spying, then document the cases of spying and put them in the newspapers and media outlets. Do you know why they are not reported in Chinese news outlets? Because the Chinese government knows that would trigger a lot more reporting on Chinese hacking and spying against western networks.

AGAIN, The United States has spent more than a trillion dollars just on developing stealth technologies. If the Chinese haven't spent hundreds of billions already developing stealth technology, which they haven't, then they stole it. All so they can threaten Japan, Taiwan, and the rest of the Pacific- which are no real threat to China. If they want to protect their population, they'd be better off getting the air in Beijing cleaned up.

sublight is back said:
All so they can threaten Japan, Taiwan, and the rest of the Pacific- which are no real threat to China. If they want to protect their population, they'd be better off getting the air in Beijing cleaned up.

The geopolitics (assuming a realist framework) of East Asia suggests that if the United States lightens its footprint in the Pacific, Japan could eventually develop into a legitimate threat to China. That's besides the point however. You're conveniently omitting that Taiwan and Japan fall under the US's security umbrella, and while Taiwan and Japan don't pose a threat to China in of themselves, from the Chinese perspective, the US does. After all, in their eyes, it's the US planting military bases at their doorstep, not the other way around.

latenlazy said:
sublight is back said:
All so they can threaten Japan, Taiwan, and the rest of the Pacific- which are no real threat to China. If they want to protect their population, they'd be better off getting the air in Beijing cleaned up.

The geopolitics (assuming a realist framework) of East Asia suggests that if the United States lightens its footprint in the Pacific, Japan could eventually develop into a legitimate threat to China. That's besides the point however. You're conveniently omitting that Taiwan and Japan fall under the US's security umbrella, and while Taiwan and Japan don't pose a threat to China in of themselves, from the Chinese perspective, the US does. After all, in their eyes, it's the US planting military bases at their doorstep, not the other way around.

Hahahaha. As I sit here in my American clothes made in china, on Made in USA furniture covered in leather made in China, with my Japanese Toshiba computer made in China, and my Apple phone made in China. I eat a subway sandwich with meats that come from China. Yea those military bases on their doorstep are a real threat.... What a bunch of baloney. The only threat to China..... Is China.

Actually, my phone was assembled in Texas, but most peoples phones come from China.

@ sublight !

To admit I find it a bit disturbing that You see it so much single-sided:

Each time there's some technological progress in China = so it is the "OUTRIGHT THEFT OF WESTERN TECHNOLOGY", espionage or a corrupt system. However in the same way You simply ignore the same fact for the USA - espionage and USA = a no go !

Surely there is currently nothing the US want to copy from China, but You fully ignore that the USA have one of - probably the best - espionage system running on the world right now and they care about nothing if these are illegal actions, if these are actions against alleys and here industrial espionage too ... the USA became so much focused in recent years that all and everything can be explained with the "war on terror", with security reasons, ... it's annoying and even more frightening.

Again I really do not excuse espionage from China, Russia or any other country, but wake up and accept that the USA are not the one and only good guy that can do everything they want.

Deino

Enough with the politics

Photo comparisons http://dimmi-tomsk.livejournal.com/276489.html

Overall config is the same but details are all different.

Vietnam got Yakhont as first export customer in 2009, that seems tight for a reverse engineer & copy. Perhaps some ex-Yakhont guy(s) went to China? Maybe China just reused the overall config.

Attachments

• 124297_original.jpg
    124297_original.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 125333_original.jpg
    125333_original.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 124149_original.jpg
    124149_original.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 125117_original.jpg
    125117_original.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 7
  • 123763_original.jpg
    123763_original.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 124927_original.jpg
    124927_original.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 123395_original.jpg
    123395_original.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 124588_original.jpg
    124588_original.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 123229_original.jpg
    123229_original.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 125666_original.jpg
    125666_original.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 11
There are some small differences between this and the brahmos' intake which add up to a big difference in the engine used. ;)
The Brahmos block III+ has trajectory shaping capabilities. There's more that I won't get into.

Overall we (in India that is) ain't particularly perturbed by this.

What would the range differences and top speed be between the CX-1 and the Brahmos missille?