And - yes, mighty NK-93 is there

Attachments

• WebPic02.jpg
    WebPic02.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 499
  • WebPic03.jpg
    WebPic03.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 547
So what exactly would you call that, an ultra-high bypass engine or a ducted unducted fan? ???

Geared turbofan, as PW does, I suppose

flateric said:
Geared turbofan, as PW does, I suppose

Well not quite. In the geared turbofan the fan is still part of the engine itself where in this one we're looking at you've got seperate propeller/fan things attached to a turboshaft then enclosed in a shroud. I'd call it an ultra-high bypass ratio engine but it's not really that either. ??? CRISP here is generally what is considered a UHB. Ducted propeller? Ducted turboprop?

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 650
Conceptually it is probably closest to CRISP. Unlike P&W's geared fan the NK-93 has two counter-rotating 'fan' stages, the first with 10 blades and the second with 8. It's interesting that the blades have such a narrow chord though, thanks flateric!

Attachments

• nk93-3.jpg
    nk93-3.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 594
What's the advantage/disadvantages in the following engines

1. Conventional high bypass turbofan with high pressure ratio

2. Geared-turbofans

3. Prop-Fans

4. CRISP

Most of the online literature describe it as a ducted propfan. I believe it's similar to SNECMA ducted contra-rotating propfan (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/picture-snecma-future-engine-concept-revealed-213520/). I'm quite interested in the technical literature/papers and conference papers on this engine but a google search (in google translated Russian/Ukrainian) revealed nothing. Hoping forum members can help out. Thanks in advance!

Austin said:
Flateric what is the current status of the NK-93 engine ?
Never delivered promised results, effective dead.