Russian PAK TA Future Transport Project ('Ermak' Study)

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just found and to admit, I'm surprised !!! :eek: ... any more news on this project ?

Mass production of advanced transport aircraft Ermak should be started in 2024

Ilyushin Company plans to start the development of next-generation transport aircraft dubbed Ermak in 2016, Interfax-AVN reports.

"In 2016 we are going to start the development of a family of heavy transport aircraft with a payload of 80 tons and more. These are wide-body aircraft. The next-generation transport aircraft was dubbed Ermak. It is planned to start the airliner’s mass production in 2024", - CEO of Ilyushin Company, Sergey Sergeev, said.

He noted that Ilyushin Company is facing a great challenge. The whole transport aircraft fleet must be replaced: light, medium, heavy and long-range heavy aircraft segments. "We hope to start the development of a military-transport aircraft with a payload of under 20 tons as soon as possible (the aircraft will replace An-12 vehicles) in the network of MTA project, which is being implemented by Russia and India", - S.Sergeev added.

http://www.ruaviation.com/news/2014/10/21/2678/print/

Think along Myasishchev EMZ M-60 lifting body design.
EMZ and Ilyushin have signed an agreement for cooperation on prospective works.

This model is from the desk of late Ilyushin chief Livanov. You'd make some multiplication though.
05-02.jpg

http://vpk-news.ru/articles/19625

Wasn't aware the Russians played MK, had them pegged as SF fans.

Attachments

• Mkd_ermac.jpg
    Mkd_ermac.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 893
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yermak_Timofeyevich

Seems pretty fanciful. I linked to a Russian story from the original link but don't read Russian so don't know if it even relates some help from Russian SPF members?

http://www.special-ops.org/pak-ta-a-future-of-modern-warfare-and-a-new-military-miracle/

http://expert.ru/2015/03/18/transportnik/

http://www.transportjournal.com/en/home/heavylift-breakbulk/artikeldetail/giant-cargo-planes-of-the-future.html
Giant cargo planes of the future

A design competition seeking the cargo aircraft of the 21st century inspired many an engineer and aviation enthusiast recently, with the entrants ranging from 22 to 74 years of age. The winners have a greater future ahead of them.

The competition, which ran for twelve months, ended on 15 August, with the winners announced at the 3rd Inter­national Air Transport Forum in Ulya­novsk, the southern Russian city where Volga-Dnepr was founded in 1990. The winning team was made up of Ilya Ageev, Sergey Borovykh and Nikolay Turbin, students at Moscow’s Aviation Institute.

A triple-decker

They impressed the jury, which consisted of Victor Tolmachev (the technical director at Volga-Dnepr as well as the chief designer of the ­An-124) with a 200-page feasibi­li­ty study for the design of a heavylift aircraft concept with a new aerodynamic configuration.

Their proposal consisted of a complete description and design study for a triple-decker aircraft in the An-225’s class. The unit will have two booms, between which there will be an external load capacity for «super-heavy and oversized cargo». This simultaneously represented a job application – the three students are now members of Volga-Dnepr’s design team. «We organised this competition for those interested in the future of air transport. For this reason we didn’t set any age limits. The youngest participant was 22 and the oldest 74 years old,» according to Artem Aroutynov, ­describing the company’s motivation.

Lucky winners and happy organisers

According to the deputy technical director and head of the design department at Volga-Dnepr, this means that the company has also been able to get to know many very talented people and received interesting, complex and incredibly ­detailed projects from ­Russia, Germany (the second prize went to a team based in Stuttgart), Bulgaria, Serbia and Ukraine. «The best of these are really useful design solutions that can be used in the aviation industry.»

Alexey Komarov, a graduate of Moscow’s Stroganov University of the Arts and Industry, received a special prize for his concept of a transport aircraft of the future (pictured above). The model he designed was displayed at Volga-Dnepr’s exhibition stand at the Air Transport ­Forum, and attracted the interest of many visitors.

Predictions for the air cargo market

Before this it had been displayed at a Sino-Russian exhibition in the Chinese city of Harbin, and at Innoprom in Yekaterinburg, where it had already attracted the attention of Russian central government ­officials.

One of the competition categories asked about the trends and predictions for the global air cargo market. The ­winner was a team from the Kharkiv Aviation Institute (Ukraine), led by Professor ­Vasiliy ­Vartanyan. The future engines for heavy cargo aircraft category saw Nikolay ­Makarov, a student at Ufa Technical University, come out on top.

«When examining each project we took into account its novelty and originality, as well as its technical feasibility. We evaluated its efficiency, the degree of the technical planning and the potential for the design to be realised,» Aroutynov continued. «In the Volga-Dnepr design office we work to create the concept of future transport aircraft, and we would like to take this opportunity to express our thanks to all of the competition’s participants.»

Active development work

«We have been inspired by the entrants’ skills, their enthusiasm as well as their pro-active approach. We’ll do our best to incorporate the results of their work in Volga-Dnepr’s activities and to integrate them into the design of the cargo aircraft for the 21st century,» Aroutynov said in closing.
PAK TA, my foot. Alexey Komarov, 'a graduate of Moscow’s Stroganov University of the Arts and Industry'. Which is an arts school.
Picture referred to:

Attachments

• Alexey Komarov.jpg
    Alexey Komarov.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 910
A single engine driving an additional two electric fans...

Good luck with that :eek:

That "design in the name of design" thing won the third place in Volga-Dnepr cargo carrier contest for "XXI Century Transport Aircraft" last year.
I personally think that inlets are too small. They should be BIGGER.

Isn't the PAK TA an actual project just this isn't the actual design?

LowObservable said:
Donner und Blitzen! Was fur ein Quatsch!

Und das ist noch sehr "milde" formuliert ... ich würde es schlicht Riesen-Mist nennen. Aber schaut man sich die üblichen Berichten zu militärischen Then in solchen Magazinen an, so scheint da jeder alles schreiben zu dürfen.

Ich lese den Locus, ähh, den Focus seit Jahren nicht mehr. Auch nicht beim Friseur. Es ist für mich einfach die Wochenausgabe der B*ld-Zeitung.

Back to the topic and back to English:
This concept reminds me very much of an Airbus concept. I agree with SpudmanWP, that it needs a second engine.

It doesn't. It's nothing more than fancy what if, has nothing to do with real PAK TA/Ermak program, will never be built and fly.

fightingirish said:
Ich lese den Locus, ähh, den Focus seit Jahren nicht mehr. Auch nicht beim Friseur. Es ist für mich einfach die Wochenausgabe der B*ld-Zeitung.

Back to the topic and back to English:
This concept reminds me very much of an Airbus concept. I agree with SpudmanWP, that it needs a second engine.

Me too ... to admit I only found that report in the German FlugzeugForum. However it is an - at least IMO - annoying trend that several newspapers all over the world tend to publish such stuff they only pick up and make up a nice a extraordinary story ... regardless the background, regardless the facts. It seems as if nearly everything can be published.

flateric said:
It doesn't. It's nothing more than fancy what if, has nothing to do with real PAK TA/Ermak program, will never be built and fly.

Yes ... but are there already at least a few information available ?? At least performance requirements, timetable ... ?

Deino

and someone out there already started "technical analysis". Based only from image. kinda painful to see.

I think its weird that you can enter a contest with an industrial designers concept. Btw who were the guys from Stuttgart that took part?

SpudmanWP said:
A single engine driving an additional two electric fans...
Good luck with that :eek:

Where have I seen that before? Stop...
https://youtu.be/w5t8VdLpsOA
Ouch, I think it's being called plagiarism or something like that...

flateric said:
Ouch, I think it's being called plagiarism or something like that...

Or at technical solution which is the next stage in aircraft evolution...

I can't figure out why they wouldn't go with more than one engine/generator though - you'd think redundancy would be one of the benefits of a distributed powerplant.

Hi!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfW4jdP4SXs

"World's largest stealth aircraft"

never mind the 100% line of sight to the 30-ft diameter fans....

AeroFranz said:

Well yeah.... but other than that! :p

AeroFranz said:

They can use giant radar blocker. ;D

Attachments

• sBf4u.jpg
    sBf4u.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 556
Haven't we established that this isn't a serious aircraft design, but an artistic design from a non-engineering team?

Indeed. I was more upset at whoever posted a video to youtube adding 'stealth' on top of all the other non-sense. Pretty soon this vehicle will also be powered by rainbows.

Hi!
Some Japanese said that it's a stealth and a supersonic transport. ;D

Attachments

• 142821026109661135178_0_11558e_c1adafbf_orig.jpg
    142821026109661135178_0_11558e_c1adafbf_orig.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 282
  • 142821023874036121178_0_11558f_e1863bb4_orig.jpg
    142821023874036121178_0_11558f_e1863bb4_orig.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 281
  • 142821020133200035178_0_115591_45473b9_orig.jpg
    142821020133200035178_0_115591_45473b9_orig.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 292
  • 142811020312385661179_6549581_20150321030127.jpg
    142811020312385661179_6549581_20150321030127.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 382
As an Aerospace Engineering student I can't take that design seriously. It's not stealth, it's not supersonic, it is heavy as hell...

malipa said:
As an Aerospace Engineering student I can't take that design seriously. It's not stealth, it's not supersonic, it is heavy as hell...
B) Please challenge SST.

Yeah it would be interesting to find out the designer! It is clearly an industrial designers and not an engineers concept.

Reaper said:
Yeah it would be interesting to find out the designer! It is clearly an industrial designers and not an engineers concept.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23286.msg245125.html#msg245125

See the blue text in the quote.

Originally shared by flateric on Facebook.

Via Google Translate:

"On the web there were photos of the super-heavy transport aircraft 'Ermak'"

Source:

The Russian company for the production of high-tech models Modellmix has presented a new accurate model of the prospective super-heavy transport aircraft of the project "Ermak" - PTS-80. Models are presented in two versions of PTS-80-1 and PTS-80-2 with a nasal ramp. Details were reported by the unofficial blog of the BPMD AST Center on the Livejournal platform.

Until now, the external appearance of the Ermak project has been carefully hidden and, most likely, has not been fully worked out, since the Ilyushin design bureau aircraft has been in development only since 2013. There is practically no information on the aircraft and its appearance. However, the company Modellmix produced a high-precision layout, which opens the veil of secrecy and gives an opportunity to everyone who wants to know how the super-heavy transport aircraft looks like.

The AST center also noted that Ermak might use prospective domestic aircraft engines PD-14 or PD-30 with a thrust of 30 tons. This is evidenced by the appearance of the nacelle engines.

Recall that the Ermak heavy-lift aircraft, also known under the abbreviation PTS-80, are designed to replace a series of An-22 Antey and An-124 Ruslan aircraft in Russia, as well as Boeing C-17 Globemaster abroad. Ilyushin's design bureau is developing since 2013. The beginning of all works was to begin in 2016, and the serial production of aircraft is planned for 2024. "Ermak" will occupy a narrow niche of transport aircraft in Russia and will have a carrying capacity of up to 100 tons.

Author: Grigory Pavlodubov

From modellmix:

Model of transport aircraft PTS80-1

The model of the prospective transport aircraft PTS80-1 is made. The model was made in the livery of the airline Volga-Dnepr, scale 1/72.

Image Source:

Attachments

• 2281-7.jpg
    2281-7.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 2281-6.jpg
    2281-6.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 2281-5.jpg
    2281-5.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 625
  • 2281-4.jpg
    2281-4.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 636
  • 2281-3.jpg
    2281-3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 641
  • 2281-2.jpg
    2281-2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 648
  • 2281-1.jpg
    2281-1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 654
Originally posted by flateric on Facebook.

Model of transport aircraft PTS80-2

The model of the prospective transport aircraft PTS80-2 is made. The model was made in the livery of the airline Volga-Dnepr, scale 1/72.

Source:

Attachments

• 2282-7.jpg
    2282-7.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 2282-6.jpg
    2282-6.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 2282-5.jpg
    2282-5.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 2282-4.jpg