Agusta A.109 Attack Helicopter

S

STINGRAY

In a book, simply called "Helicopters" by Mark Dartford--I think thats the name. help me out if im wrong--, I found a picture of a dedicated attack helicopter, similar to the A.129 "Mangusta" but without all the nose equipment, with the designation and type: A.109 Attack helicopter :eek:. Is this a misprint, or is it really an attack version of the A.109 "Hurundo"? ???

I really hope it is ether playing an attack role or just a mockup for the "Mangusta" and not a misprint :-\. That would be cool if it existed 8)!

Belgium operates quite a few A109's in light attack heli role. Nothing really amazing: tow missiles and canon pods.

I could be wrong,but I believe the Agusta A-129 Mangusta uses the same rotor system as the A-109,so in that sense its like comparing the Huey and the Cobra.There was also the A-139 Light Battlefield Helicopter that predated the Agusta-Bell AB-139 that looked like a Blackhawk,with the A-109 body mated with the A-129s landing gear.Believe it also had an undernose 12.7mm gun turret.

I believe that the rotor systems are different. The A-109 has a four bladed systems with the A-129 has a five bladed rotor system. While I am sure that there are many similarities between the two aircraft, they are different. It is possible I suppose that the Augusta team looked at a light attack rotorcraft variant of the 109.

yasotay said:
I believe that the rotor systems are different. The A-109 has a four bladed systems with the A-129 has a five bladed rotor system.

No, only the more recent A-129 International, and late Italian production A-129s which, unlike the International, retain the Gem turobshafts, have the five bladed rotor.

TinWing said:
yasotay said:
I believe that the rotor systems are different. The A-109 has a four bladed systems with the A-129 has a five bladed rotor system.

No, only the more recent A-129 International, and late Italian production A-129s which, unlike the International, retain the Gem turobshafts, have the five bladed rotor.

I was under the impression that all the A-129 in Italian service had been upgraded. Still, while I am sure that there are a significant number of similarities between the two aircrafts dynamic components (likely the initial A-129 rotor systems was designed off that of the A-109), I suspect the military applications requirements have mandated a number of changes.

Belgium and Agusta A.109BA

1988 the Belgium Air Force wanted MBB (EADS) Helicopters like BO 105-P (PAH 1A1)
and end up with Agusta A.109 by corruption of Belgium politician.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agusta_scandal

the Belgium Agusta A.109BA full loaded is to Heavy for Take off :eek:
they use now as Person Transporter or reconnaissance craft

These childhood posts of mine are really embarrassing. I feel I need to clear something up here...

When I posted that first message, I was referring to exactly what my younger 'I'll-believe-anything' state of mind didn't want to accept... a mistype from a random book. The photo I was referring to depicted the first prototype A.129 attack helicopter, which is why it looked so different from the production model I knew more about. The author of the book (not Mark Dartford, it was actually Charles Messenger) accidentally called it an "A.109 Attack helicopter" in the caption below it.

the mistake by Charels Messenger is quite understandable.

he labeled this A109 as "Hirundo" that was the official name of civilian A109 for several years, unit Agusta drop it.
during this time Agusta study and build Military version of A109
like A109A EOA build for Italian Military or the A109B a never build military version.

49990280308_d1c9aef7ee_b.jpg

belgian A.109 with CATM-9

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom