Cunningham-Hall Hypothetical Biplane with New Idea

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From l'Aeronautique 1930,

here is a new idea by its time for a hypothetical sesquiplane,created by Cunningham-Hall company,
we know that firm and its projects are very rare,so I think may be interested to somebody.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    392.2 KB · Views: 188
Hi Hesham: This is actually a sketch of the Cunningham-Hall X-90 built to enter the 1929 Guggenheim Safe Airplane Competition. The wing layout is distinct to the X-90 but the same high-lift device arrangement would re-appear on the low-winged Cunningham-Hall GA-21 M and GA-36.

The 'Cunningham-Hall Variable-Lift Wing' featured retractable flaps linked to closeable nose slots. The flaps were fully retractable, deploying down and to the rear. On deployment, the leading edge slots opened, ensurely airflow over the flaps. Once deployed, these flaps acted rather like the later Fairey-Youngman system (other than having a dedicated airflow from the nose slots).

The 'Cunningham-Hall Variable-Lift Wing' worked but was fairly heavy as a result of its mechanical complexity. And it had little performance advantage over simpler Fowler flap.

Thank you my dear Apophenia,

and I know X-90,but I thought they were different.

Attachments

• cunnhall-x90.jpg
    cunnhall-x90.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 98