Some help in aircraft identification, please.

F-14D

I really did change my personal text
Reaction score
Google Earth or Maps 34.114110, -119.104478

What are those?

Folland Gnats, the same ones as these:

Attachments

• Hot-Shots_Gnat-F1_1h14m54.jpg
    Hot-Shots_Gnat-F1_1h14m54.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 44
There doesn't seem to be much of a fuselage shadow on the wing, and the wing itself throws a big shadow on the ground - so it must be up high. I'm thinking Harriers.

They're too big to be Gnats, and judging by the C-130s and P-3s in the area, they seem to be too big for Hunters, although there's some distortion, size and planform looks like it's closer to an F-4 with folded wings. OTOH, the images are fairly current and I don't think USN is using F-4s for anything anymore, especially where they'd have that paint scheme. Harriers are really small but the intakes are pretty big and I don't really see them when I "rotate" the image in Google Earth The paint scheme, though, does match that of the ATAC Hunters, and if you rotate the image in Google Earth , they kinda have a cockpit shape like Hunters. Frankly, I never even thought of them... cultural blinders, I guess.

So, I think I'm going to vote to be in Arjen's camp, although I'm still a bit uncertain. Funny thing, though, why are they distorted when all the other a/c on the base (and on Edwards, China Lake, Mojave, Inyo, etc.) clear and easy to ID? Has ATAC developed a semi-stealth countermeasure for ACM?

Many hanks to everyone who's helping placate my curiosity and confusion.

Just checked the dimensions. Wing span of 10m, same as a Hawker Hunter.

Edit:

F-14D said:
The paint scheme, though, does match that of the ATAC Hunters,

That's them for sure.

Attachments

• mk-58_hawker_hunter_over.jpg
    mk-58_hawker_hunter_over.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 148
Unfortunately, depending on when the Google Earth photo was taken, there may be one less now.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20120518X65127