d.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 145
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 121
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 106
I can't recall the project in images B, C and D... can you give me its designation?

Thanks Justo, these are very interesting documents. There seems to be a typo regarding the radars - there was no FuG 224 "Berlin A"; it was the FuG 240; and the "Berlin A" did not have a Morgenstern antenna but a parabolic dish for its 9 cm wavelength.

Sorry, my mistake. The FuG 224 "Berlin A" was indeed the first German airborne radar with a wavelength of 9cm and used four "keramische Stielstrahler" (ceramic sticks of slightly conic form) as antenna. However it was not a night fighter radar but a surface surveillance radar like the British H2S from which it was derived.

Basil said:
[...]However it was not a night fighter radar but a surface surveillance radar like the British H2S from which it was derived.
That's interesting. Reverse engineered from captured H2S radars? In which year?

<edit> Found this here: http://www.nsarc.ca/hf/german_radar.pdf
Berlin A (FuG 244) [that should read FuG 224] was developed by Telefunken, based on captured RAF H2S and US AN/APS-13. First deployed early 1944; only approx. 50 units built. It embodies most of the PPI radar concepts still in use to this day. The polyrod antenna had the same pattern as a dish, but offered much less wind load. It was mounted in a low-loss composite radome on the airframe’s underbelly. The high rotation speed eliminated the need for a long-persistence CRT and allowed ambient-light viewing.

Attachments

• german_radar.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
Basil said:
.... However it was not a night fighter radar but a surface surveillance radar like the British H2S from which it was derived.

In the link supplied by ARjen, it is mentioned that the 30 to 50 FuG 224/240 radars "were issued to service
units, mostly on the Ju 88G-6". That means to me, they were mostly used on night fighters, which probably
had no use for an air-to-ground set.

From pdf's page 23:
The FuG 224 and FuG 240 Berlin 9 cm (3.3 GHz) airborne radars were based on H2S, and used
captured examples of the British cavity magnetron. The parabolic dish antenna was installed inside
a streamlined nose cover
. Between 30 to 50 were issued to service units, mostly on the Ju 88G-6.
I think antenna-behind-nose-cover refers to the FuG 240 alone, not to the FuG 224.

The pdf contains an FuG 224 image on page 25, caption:
4-element polyrod antenna, downwardlooking & rotating at 400 rpm.
That, combined with Justo's radome picture, should settle the question whether FuG 224 was a belly-mounted air-to-ground or nose-mounted intercept radar.
A case of internal inconsistency in the pdf's text, there.

<edit> One of the links in the german_radar pdf points here: http://www.cdvandt.org/German%20airborne%20radar%20def.pdf
This other pdf, from page 18 onwards, has a fairly elaborate description of FuG 224 and how it came to be. Images and description tally with FuG 224 as a ground-mapping radar.

Jumping from the last link to another document: http://aobauer.home.xs4all.nl/FuG%20224%20instruction.pdf
This says, about the FuG 224:
Da das Gerät ursprünglich für die Luftwaffe entwickelt wurde, ist eine besondere Anordnung für die Höhenmessung über Grund vorgesehen. Diese wird für Marinezwecke nicht benötigt und deshalb nur beiläufig erwähnt.

Because the apparatus was developed originally for the Lufwaffe, a special provision is made for altitude-measuring over ground. This is not necessary for naval purposes, therefore mentioned only in passing.

Attachments

• FuG 224.png
    FuG 224.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 264
Thanks, Arjen, especially the second document is a really detailed one.
As we are already very "off-topic" - has anyone got any information about the "Kanzelringantenne" (~ cockpit ring antenna) for the night fighter radar FuG 218? Fritz Trenkle mentions it in the book "Die deutschen Funkmessverfahren bis 1945" (Justo showed it as source above). It is described as an antenna for the night fighter variant of the Me-262 using the FuG 218 or later the FuG 219; the antenna consisted of metal foil segments which were internally bonded to the front section of the aircraft structure behind a radome.

Can anybody identify these radar equipments?

-FuG 244 with "Bremen" antler?
-FuG 219 "Weilheim" with Siemens antler?
-FuG 222 "Pauke S" ?
-FuG 247 "Pauke SD" ?

Attachments

• Me 262 radar.jpg
    Me 262 radar.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 147
I can't answer your question but afaik the antler antenna as used for Lichtenstein and FuG 218 sets are not suited to the 9cm wavelength of the Bremen. These sets need a parabolic dish or the mentioned "Stielstrahler" depending on the use of the set.