Gloster Flying Boats and other monoplane projects

Schneiderman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The next edition of The Aviation Historian, published on 15th Oct, will include the first of a 3-part article about Folland's monoplane designs for Gloster in the early 1930s. It includes description and details on three flying boats, including this one.

http://www.theaviationhistorian.com/

Re: Gloster Flying Boats

Great!!! I didn't know about this ones. I'm very happy to see the publication has a digital version.
Does the article will include 3D ​​views?

Yes it does, three in this first article and four more in the later ones. I'm learning how to use the software as I go along, so the later models are better.

Am I the only member that can't see the image in the first post?

Chris

Here it is as an attachment:

Attachments

• sea_zps63b23ebc.jpg
    sea_zps63b23ebc.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 257

Ta, I can see that but not the original (yes, I am logged in).

Chris

Schneiderman said:
Yes it does, three in this first article and four more in the later ones. I'm learning how to use the software as I go along, so the later models are better.

Fantastic. I'm very interested. A couple of may off topic questions: What plane is the other one in the picture? and the one in your avatar?

I've to say this plane remembers me the Macchi c.94.

Attachments

• macchi_c94b.jpg
    macchi_c94b.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 257

Hi,

The first article describes three flying boats (the CG image is the largest) and two commercial monoplanes, one of which is in the background of the image. The second article, which will be published in January, has the aircraft shown in my avatar plus monoplane bombers and fighters. There are 3-views and CG renders of all of them. The article is based on original Gloster blueprints recently discovered and never before published

Cheers

Schneiderman said:
original Gloster blueprints recently discovered and never before published

Brilliant! Did any company designations show up in this treasure trove, by chance?

Schneiderman said:
Hi,

The first article describes three flying boats (the CG image is the largest) and two commercial monoplanes, one of which is in the background of the image. The second article, which will be published in January, has the aircraft shown in my avatar plus monoplane bombers and fighters. There are 3-views and CG renders of all of them. The article is based on original Gloster blueprints recently discovered and never before published

Cheers

Oh my God!! Very good news. :D [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] I'm happy to see more unknown planes. My "trained" eye detected new silhouettes on your images [/font] ;)
Can I ask Which software are you using for the 3D stuff?

I've to see the only bad thing is the wait ;)

Only drawing numbers, not project or type designations. I don't believe Gloster used such a system at the early design stage, and the 'G' series has proven to be full of holes and confusion as much of it was applied retrospectively.

I am an amateur at building aircraft models and also reluctant to spend much money on software.

I have a very basic 3D modelling program called Metasequoia, Japanese software really designed for games modelling that cost about $30 for a licence. I load and render the final model in Bryce 3.1, which is free. Paint/texture can be done in any simple graphic programme. Paint.net is free, so I use that along with ancient copies of Paintshop Pro and Picture Publisher, that were also free.

So, the models I built for this magazine article are very simple. Those in the second part are better and some I am making for a book have proper sea and land backgrounds and look quite good.

Finally I read the article. Very interesting. I congrats you for the models they're simple but they show the shape of this unknowns projects very well. I found all very interesting. The airliner projects are great I've some preference for planes with pants :)

Looking forward for the next articles.

Thanks. Part 2, which should be in published issue 10, has the aircraft shown in my avatar plus bombers and fighters

On sale now
http://www.theaviationhistorian.com

Indeed an excellent article, and by far (to me!!) the most interesting thing yet published in Aviation Historian. More please!!
I know Gloster did not appear to use any form of Type Designation, at least in the earlier years (the G series are totally spurious), but the drawing numbers of the GAs you came across could prove very interesting. Did you take note of those by any chance?

Many thanks!

The drawings in the RAeC archive are basic 3-view layout drawings. All the amphibians are on one sheet, F10038, and the Charter Monoplane on three, F11268, F11269 and F11275

Cheers

Hi

Part two of my article on Folland's monoplane projects at Gloster in the early 1930s has just been published in The Aviation Historian

High Speed Mailplane (see my avatar), bomber and fighters

Schneiderman said:
Hi

Part two of my article on Folland's monoplane projects at Gloster in the early 1930s has just been published in The Aviation Historian

High Speed Mailplane (see my avatar), bomber and fighters

Amazing projects my dear Schniederman,

specially the Supermarine-Folland Mailplane and High Speed Bomber.

Back
Top Bottom