Cargo Airplane,prepared with co-operation with R. S. Shashoua

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    499.5 KB · Views: 167
Fairchild built a few Packet cargo planes like that at the end of WW2. Fairchild's design evolved into the C-119 Flying Boxcar with a fixed cargo compartment permanently riveted under the fuselage.

Sikorsky's Sky Crane helicopter was also intended to carry similar streamlined cargo pods. Military Skycranes spent their careers mainly sling cargo (ammo, artillery, Jeeps, etc.). Only a few Skycranes were ever equipped with passenger pods (e.g. Nevada Air National Guard.) After they retired form military service, most Skycranes did exactly that, lift heavy air-conditioners or antennas onto the top of skyscrapers.) These days, most Skycranes work as heli-loggers.

I often wonder if Fairchild's original concept could be revived with shipping containers. The chief advantage would be rapid re-loading for parcel courier companies like UPS< FEDEX, DHL, etc.The biggest hassle would be streamlining the nose and tail of the ISO cargo container.

Thank you Riggerrob,

you are welcome,and for Fairchild,I know many transport projects for it.

There is very little that is new under the sun. The newsreel is in French, but the plane, the Miles M.68 Boxcar, is British and the articles are in English. I actually see lots of problems with this sort of system for freight transport -- anything light enough for air use is unlikely to stand up to the abuse of ground use -- but I think it could have made for a great modular multipurpose aircraft. Different fuselage modules could have been configured for different uses and switched out as needed in just minutes: economy passenger, VIP passenger, sightseeing (big windows), skydiving, firefighting, medical, photography, freight, livestock, etc.

http://youtu.be/IlLAQPyhJ1A

Attachments

• 1947 - 1492.PDF
    354.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1947 - 1608.PDF
    325.7 KB · Views: 5