McDonnell H-1

Jos Heyman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
In going through Fred Knight's 'The Grumman Amphibians' (2014) (excellent work, by the way) I ran into a reference to a McDonnell H-1B, being a JRF-2 Goose mated with twin rotors.
A search through my library revealed in Arthur Pearcy's 'A History of USCG Aviation' (1989) further details as follows.
In 1944 McDonnell Aviation acquired Platt le Page, the developers of the twin rotor XR-1 for the USAAF.
McDonnell then studied (possibly for the US Coast Guard) the use of the twin rotor concept in combination with a Douglas R4D hull as H-1A, a Grumman JRF-2 Goose hull as H-1B and an entirely new hull as H-1C. All this work seems to have been done in 1944 (may be part of 1945) and none of these were built but it is suggested that the next design identified as H-1D, implied with a new hull as well, evolved into the McDonnell XHJD-1. Interestingly the XHJD-1 was also identified as McDonnell 37 and Platt Le Page PL-9. The latter identification might indicate that some work was done in the Platt Le Page time.
These H-1 designations are, of course, purely McDonnell internal and have no connection to a military designations. (If the XR-1 would have been put in production, a chance in designation to H-1 would not have occurred until 11 June 1948, by which time the McDonnell H-1 studies had been well abandoned).

Enlcosed picture is from Pearcy's book.

Attachments

• McDonnell H-1.jpg
    McDonnell H-1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,063
Very interesting! Thanks Jos.

Just for the record so that it's clear for everyone: "XHJD-1" was a bona fide Navy designation — first McDonnell (D) utility (J) rotorcraft (H), first version (-1), experimental (X). The same system can be found in the Sikorsky XHJS-1 (S-53) and Piasecki XHJP-1 (HUP-1 prototype, as the letter "U" replaced "J" in the revised post-war system — similarly the letter "D", already used by Douglas, was changed to H to avoid confusion).

Jos Heyman said:
In going through Fred Knight's 'The Grumman Amphibians' (2014) (excellent work, by the way) I ran into a reference to a McDonnell H-1B, being a JRF-2 Goose mated with twin rotors.

I can't find much useful information about this Air-Britain book online. Is there much narrative in it or is it just their typical production list format?
Thanks!

The book has 445 pages. There are nine chapters of narrative on the development of the Goose, Widgeon and Mallard, followed by descriptions of the modifications and projects. Then some chapters about the users - civilian (very limited) and military (very extensive). Finally, from page 307 a number of indexes including detailed production lists with minutely detailed history.
As yet, I have not worked through it completely, especially not the Production lists. That is going to take quite some time. But I have already found some significant new information that, in some cases contradicts what has been stated in older references. However, this book has all indications that it is based on recent base document research and not a regurgitation of previous references so I am prepared to accept this as a 'milestone' reference book.

Jos Heyman said:
this book has all indications that it is based on recent base document research and not a regurgitation of previous references so I am prepared to accept this as a 'milestone' reference book.

I believe Air Britain books are pretty much that on the whole, anyway. Serious researching involved and solid reference sources.

McDonnell had a partial interest in Platt-LePage, they did not own the entire company, or all of the Platt-LePage designs.
The deal with McDonnell was for their engineers to learn helicopter design, and the purchase of the PL-9 engineering package, that would become the McDonnell Whirlaway.

McDonnell would obtain some Platt-LePage patent rights when PL-LP closed down, but they did not obtain others, such as the PL-15 and PL-16 Tilt-Rotor designs, etc.

Platt-LePage carried out extensive deign work on the PL-14 Amphibian helicopter, which would have used a heavily modified Grumman Widgeon, not a "Goose". PL-LP was in process of obtaining the airframe when outside events forced their closing.

The Platt-LePage PL-14 looks nothing like drawing in Pearcy's book, the actual design was very modern and streamlined, looking very little like a Grumman Widgeon above the hull.

A little more info...
The Platt-LePage PL-9 had no ties to the later PL-14 amphibian. (Other than being a lateral tandem)

The PL-9 was part of a pair of large transport helicopter engineering packages, PL-8 single engine transport, and PL-9, twin engine transport.
The main differences between the PL-9 and the McDonnell XHJD-1 Whirlaway,were internal pylon structure, and the Whirlaway having squared off tail surfaces, instead of the more rounded horizontal and vertical tail of the PL-9.

McDonnell almost lost the Whirlaway on one test, when the McDonnell test pilot pushed the helicopter too fast, without it's horizontal stab. despite being warned by Platt-LePage engineers not to do so...One ex-Platt-LePage engineer that was recording flight data got out of the Whirlaway, and walked back to the hanger, after the pilot managed to put the XHJD-1 on the ground after nearly losing control of the helicopter when it went into severe oscillations.

Unfortunately for the PL-14, the 1946 steel workers strike locked Platt-LePage out of their facilities, killing their last chance at building their civilian helicopter and Tilt-Rotor designs.

Thanks for providing that information. Would you have a list of the designs identified as PL?

Platt-LePage Aircraft said:
I do have documentation on the PL designs, at some point I will publish the whole Platt-LePage story.

That will be amazing,many thanks Platt-LePage.

Platt-LePage Aircraft said:
I do have documentation on the PL designs, at some point I will publish the whole Platt-LePage story.

I absolutely can't wait for this to happen... Keep us informed of your progress, by all means!

Recent visit to NARA II provided an opportunity to capture this General Arrangement of the McDonnell H-1

bill

Attachments

• McDonnell-H-1-Helicopter.jpg
    McDonnell-H-1-Helicopter.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 501
Great find, Bill S! Judging from the profile view, it seems like they were planning to base this on a Douglas Dolphin fuselage. That makes it the very first "McDonnell Douglas" project in history I guess!!

Finally here are a couple of artist concepts of the H-1
Excellent continuation of 2014's thread - I only today found it, and it's very interesting. What an unusual connection between US aircraft' and helicopter' manufacturers.
Thanks for sharing!