Insane Russian FSB Alfa Team Confidence Drills

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Yes they are getting shot with real bullets at close range. Only in Russia :eek:

http://www.special-ops.org/video-insane-russian-counter-terror-confidence-drill/

Italians do it as well:

EDIT: removed irrelevant video

The Russians are not testing a bullet proof vest they are doing serious training in CQB where an operator might get shot and still have to return fire on the Tango completely different from your video.

Really the return fire is much more dangerous which is what's different from those get shot in the vest tests. You've just had a mad high intensity thing happen to you and then you return fire apparently aiming inches from the first man's head which is not protected. It would be mad if he returned fire at the chest of the cardboard cut out so that if you hit the first dude you tap his chest...firing at the unprotected head... damn, just damn.

The Russians are famous for this stuff, I don't think they collect Central statistics on training accidents :)

The costs probably do outweigh the benefits but it for the survivors who it works for must come away feeling 10 feet tall and like angels of death.

phrenzy said:
The Russians are famous for this stuff, I don't think they collect Central statistics on training accidents :)

The costs probably do outweigh the benefits but it for the survivors who it works for must come away feeling 10 feet tall and like angels of death.

I'm reminded of that line from the 80's action film Who Dares Wins that goes something like:

"On these exercises, we have an acceptable fatality rate and I'm well within my quota."

bobbymike said:
The Russians are not testing a bullet proof vest they are doing serious training in CQB where an operator might get shot and still have to return fire on the Tango completely different from your video.

Indeed, i just skipped through the video and had impression they were shooting on vests.
now taking time to watch it again, i see i got it wrong.

Sorry for the off topic but the Russians must have invented the phrase 'getting all your ducks in a row' ;D

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/08/06/bare-chested-russian-man-walks-out-of-barn-calls-flock-of-ducks-to-attention-then-marches-them-inside/

The SAS Counter-Terrorism squadron practice similar drills in the "Killing House" training facility. They will put team members in hostage situations surrounded by cardboard cut outs of Terrorists and other civilians and the attacks will have to enter and rescue them without killing them or the other civilian cardboard cut outs. Yes, they apparently occasionally have accidents.

Hot Breath said:
The SAS Counter-Terrorism squadron practice similar drills in the "Killing House" training facility. They will put team members in hostage situations surrounded by cardboard cut outs of Terrorists and other civilians and the attacks will have to enter and rescue them without killing them or the other civilian cardboard cut outs. Yes, they apparently occasionally have accidents.

There apparently is a story told by former members of the Regiment that Lady Di sat in as a hostage in the shoot house and stray sparks from an MP-5 firing close by started her hair on fire, no harm to the Princess herself. they said she was a good sport about the whole thing and said she was thinking about a hairstyle change anyway. Margaret Thatcher was another guest of the 22 SAS as well

That's a fantastic story :) she certainly was a trooper, my father used to love bringing up the time he danced with her and stomped on her foot (he wasn't normally the fancy dancing type), she was pretty cool about it apparently.

Anyhow the kill house concept is really just a more intense version of live fire maneuvering exorcises for infantry units. Pretending to assult a hook for example and having your squad mates firing their SAWs or m2s over your shoulder while you run around. The first time I saw this I thought it was a little mad until I realised that in any sort of battle they would be expected to do exactly this with the added hassle of someone shooting back at you.

... still, little different taking 3 in the vest and trusting someone in training to have the presence of mind yo be calm enough to get the shot off cleanly.

Very trusting of that instructor to let some American visitor have a go.

bobbymike said:
There apparently is a story told by former members of the Regiment that Lady Di sat in as a hostage in the shoot house and stray sparks from an MP-5 firing close by started her hair on fire, no harm to the Princess herself. they said she was a good sport about the whole thing and said she was thinking about a hairstyle change anyway. Margaret Thatcher was another guest of the 22 SAS as well

Sounds apocryphal to me. No way would either woman be allowed by SASR commanders to place themselves in such a situation if for no other reason than the fear of the repercussions to not only their own careers but the careers of their troops if an accident did occur. Going down in history as the trooper who shot the Princess or the PM would not look good on one's CV.

You're thinking too "2014".

By all accounts it happened, remember the world was a very different place in the 1980's. Risk management was not what it is today

Kadija_Man said:
bobbymike said:

Sounds apocryphal to me. No way would either woman be allowed by SASR commanders to place themselves in such a situation if for no other reason than the fear of the repercussions to not only their own careers but the careers of their troops if an accident did occur. Going down in history as the trooper who shot the Princess or the PM would not look good on one's CV.

I also recently saw footage of Lady Di's visit to Hereford in a documentary on AHC about special forces with interviews with former SAS operators who confirmed the story.

Kadija_Man said:
bobbymike said:

I can see either woman basically insisting, they were both similarly inclined though for different reasons. By ask accounts Di was pretty brave to the point of being impulsive and maggie had a genuine hard on for that sort of thing, she loved the SAS.
That's not proof of anything but they both seem to be people who might shut down any close protection personel trying to talk them out of it.

phrenzy said:
Kadija_Man said:
bobbymike said:

I can see either woman basically insisting, they were both similarly inclined though for different reasons. By ask accounts Di was pretty brave to the point of being impulsive and maggie had a genuine hard on for that sort of thing, she loved the SAS.
That's not proof of anything but they both seem to be people who might shut down any close protection personel trying to talk them out of it.

I doubt it would have been the close protection squad who was doing the talking. It would have been as I suggested the SASR CO. He'd be more concerned about the welfare of his men than he would have been about the welfare of either the Princess or the PM.

Di was by all accounts as mad as a hatter, while Maggie was strong willed but not even she could have stood up to the SAS I've known if they'd decided they weren't going to do something. They are well aware of the risks inherent in the use of live ammunition and while they know not to move, both women would have been at real risk to being hit because they'd not have the necessary training not to panic.

Could have been blanks i guess in both cases. No reason having an mp5 full of blanks rather than live rounds couldn't scorch your hair if you were a little to close I suppose... if you were close enough to the muzzle or ejection port for that to happen though you'd have to wonder about ever hearing anything ever again, particularly with some blanks.
Not quite as interesting a story if that were the case though, but I can see it being a fun little embellishment on a big fish story like that.